• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

David Wheeler

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Not any guestion censorship but he is either employed to write a football column or not. Do we see ex-players with columns in the tabloids going off piste and start pontificating on Brexit or whatever and I stand by all I have said earlier.
Nope, you're after censorship.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I'd rather see him running down the wing and coming in at the back post - as it's been too long and not often enough given his ability.

I hope he Doesn't get to the end of his career thinking if only as he's a far better player then that

hardi2b

if Wheeler wants to write about his political opinions he should do in the appropriate section ...that being the op-ed section, i too like to read about footy goings on but please keep it to that in the sport section !

Antony Moxey

I would guess he's been given an opportunity to write an a weekly article for the E&E. I don't see why he has to be censored on what he writes, there's nothing outrageous in there, slightly cautious about writing about his employer, and avoiding a criticism as you'd expect of the management team. Unlike his predecessor he won't be accusing City fans of being faggots.
Of course had he been writing about his support for the Conservative party you'd have been all over it Hants. As for Sercombe, where, in his Echo column, did he call supporters faggots?

Antony Moxey

Indeed. As much as I'm frustrated with goings-on at the club at the moment, the ire should not be directed at Wheeler or his column. He's mentioned politics enough times in his columns in the past, why are people only moaning about it now?

It's a personal column, his predecessors Sercs and Coles talked about their families/passions in sections of their columns - why whinge about Wheeler doing the same? It's clearly his big passion outside of football, and we're getting an insight through the column into his personal views, so why shouldn't he be allowed to talk about them?

For example, Jeremy Clarkson has a newspaper column in one of the tabloids I believe, and I bet your bottom dollar he doesn't just talk about cars.

It's an opinion piece that he's written, he's never stated in the column that it should be taken as gospel by anyone and everyone. Seriously, it really isn't worth moaning about - we've got bigger things to worry about than a personal newspaper column.
Clarkson: I guess that depends on whether his column is in the motoring section of not.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Of course had he been writing about his support for the Conservative party you'd have been all over it Hants. As for Sercombe, where, in his Echo column, did he call supporters faggots?
making assumptions about my views again Moxey.

Antony Moxey

making assumptions about my views again Moxey.
I know what your views are, you spout them often enough so I'd suggest it'd be pretty much par for the course for you to revere all things left and revile all things right.

Red Bill

Here's an idea, just an idea, take it or leave it. How about not reading his column if it offends you. I'm guessing you don't sit at home punching yourself in the face and then complaining about the pain!

Terryhall

I would guess he's been given an opportunity to write an a weekly article for the E&E. I don't see why he has to be censored on what he writes, there's nothing outrageous in there, slightly cautious about writing about his employer, and avoiding a criticism as you'd expect of the management team. Unlike his predecessor he won't be accusing City fans of being faggots.
Absolutely. It's not a football column, per se, it's a David Wheeler column (that's how I see it anyway).

He tends to write about whatever big stories came up that week and provide his own opinion on them - so the ECFC matches, his own fitness, plus the big stories this week were Corbyn getting re-elected and Allardyce chucking himself under a bus. What's the big deal if he talks about that in his column?

Anyway, hope we get to see him in action at the weekend, think we've really missed him so far.

On the up

Absolutely. It's not a football column, per se, it's a David Wheeler column (that's how I see it anyway).

He tends to write about whatever big stories came up that week and provide his own opinion on them - so the ECFC matches, his own fitness, plus the big stories this week were Corbyn getting re-elected and Allardyce chucking himself under a bus. What's the big deal if he talks about that in his column?

Anyway, hope we get to see him in action at the weekend, think we've really missed him so far.
Quite right. Such a pity he hasn't really been able to write about his positive playing exploits since the first 6 weeks of last season.