• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Digital cameras

Hi all, i am looking for a digital camera around £250ish, I'm not up to date with all the different detail etcetera around cameras, i wondered if anyone would be able to help me out with what would be available for the money, thanks in advance

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hi all, i am looking for a digital camera around £250ish, I'm not up to date with all the different detail etcetera around cameras, i wondered if anyone would be able to help me out with what would be available for the money, thanks in advance
Nikon D3100 is a fantastic bit of kit.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
It all depends on what you want the camera for and what you need it to do. Do you want an SLR, a bridge or a compact? If it's a compact then I don't think that spending as much as £250 would be worthwhile, you can get a pretty decent snapshot camera for half that.

I'm not completely au fait with bridge cameras but a few people at work have some (one's a Sony, the other a Fuji) and both perform admirably on the auto mode. However they can be pretty expensive and you can get a decent DSLR for not much more money and have the ability to add extra lenses etc. to it in the future. Ultimately though you just need to shop around and read as many reviews as possible, there'll be a lot of arguing over Nikon and Canon but it mostly comes down to personal preference.

I've got a refurbed Canon 450d (called a Rebel XSi in the US market) that cost about £350 two or three years ago. I also added £100 for a 90mm-300mm lens to use at distance. I mostly use it for motorsport photography (purely as a hobby) and am a long way from being a decent photographer but it still gets some pretty decent shots:

IMG_0697 by Jan Yeo, on Flickr

IMG_9394 by Jan Yeo, on Flickr

IMG_6725 by Jan Yeo, on Flickr

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jan Yeo = (boffin)