• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's failed campaign - get it off your chest!!!

Jersey Tone

Folks

Not sure if this is the right or best place to put it but an Aldershot supporting mate of mine has started a Facebook campaign and has asked me to put something on Exeweb. This is his post - feel free to join his campaign/ignore altogether.

For those of you that have facebook, I have set up an event in case there are any like minded people out there.

It's how I feel and it made me feel better and I am now £20 a month better off because of it.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115288888516868

For those of you without Facebook, these are my thoughts and this is what I have done. If you feel the same, why not take the money out of the pockets of Gerrard, Rooney etc (indirectly) and put it into your club or your pockets or a charity or whatever. The intention is not to preach. It is just my thoughts and if you share my opinion it works on two levels.

On a individual level, you will be better off and if enough people share the point of view, it might actually change something. Afterall, they brought back Wispas and got Simon Cowell off the NO 1 spot!

Anyway, these are my thoughts...

England v Germany 2010 was a total disaster. Overpaid players that were a disgrace to English football and to the very spirit of sport.

After the game, it just went from bad to worse. Ashley Cole laughing and joking as he got off the plane at Rustenburg and the excuses about being beaten by the better team etc. It was all rubbish. They did not look like they cared during the game and they certainly did not look like they cared after it.

1966 was the pinacle. Many people believe that we had a better team in 1970 but sport being sport, we did not quite make it. Then came the barren years as we did not qualify for 1974 or 1978. However, the three world cups from 1982 to 1990 showed gradual improvement until our famous run of 1990.

In 1990, with the notable exception of Gazza, we did not have the superstars that we have today. But we had a team which grew into the tournament and as the late great Bobby Robson once said, "played with three lions on their shirt and one on their heart"

From that point on, it was all downhill leading to yesterday. Euro 1996 was an exception, but you could argue that the players then were still last of the "old school". Shearer, Pearce, Gazza, Adams etc.

So what's my point.....

It's simple. It is my belief that the Premiership is killing english football. Too many overseas players and a mentality that makes our best players care more about the Champions League and the Premiership than they do about playing for their country.

It is now just theatre played out in front of big businesses and it took yesterday for me to finally realise that I have been conned!

Look at the majority of the flags at England games. Bristol City , Coventry , Exeter - mostly lower division teams.

We have all been conned into thinking the holy grail of football is to hopefully get one season in the premiership so we can get our parachute payment when we come back down again.

It should not be like that. In the premiership, clubs outside the big four should not be playing for 4th place. That's a con!

We should be developing home grown talent from lower divisions and making those the backbone of our "flagship" league.

In my opinion this is the only way we will develop a national team to be proud of.

In the medium term, salary caps and a limit to the number of foreign players per team will all help. I doubt whether the Premiership will ever do this without being forced as they care about one thing only - MONEY.

So I have decided to CANCEL MY SKY SPORTS SUBSCRIPTION as my own personal protest. For it to make a financial difference I have had to cancel the movies too but most of them are crap anyway!!

If enough people felt the same way and did the same thing, it would have a significant effect on the flow of cash into the premiership coffers and then perhaps, the premiership would start to become more about sport and pride and less about money.

The worst thing that can happen is that we all have an extra £200 a year to spend and since most clubs outside the premiership are skint (I wonder why!!!) most have "buy a player" campaigns so why not put it back into football that way. Or just use it to actually go to a few football matches rather than watching it on the TV.

I want "real" football back. I want an English national team to be proud of and real aspirations for our clubs. Aspiring to one season in the premiership, relagation and parachute payments is a con.

None of this is good for our game!

This is how I feel and doing this has made me feel better!!

If you feel the same way, then why not do it too. And while you are at it, tell your friends!

This might be one of those FB campaigns that makes a difference and even if it isn't, if you share the opinion you will feel better and be better off in your pocket.

Let's get our game back!!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I rather like the variety of sports covered on Sky Sports, as well as the football, and not just the Premiership either, which is only beaten by watching City.

I have no intention of cancelling my subscription.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
me neither, wont make any difference whether i cancel my subscription or not. stop the influx of bog standard foreigners and give the young talent a chance

Red the Paper

Banned
Problem is Tone, too many people have already bought into the con. England doesn't mean that much to them either.

No SKY SPORTS in my house, simply because TV doesn't compare to watching an event live at the venue

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I refuse to pay rupert murdoch (scum) a single penny of my money.

Jersey Tone

Problem is Tone, too many people have already bought into the con. England doesn't mean that much to them either.

No SKY SPORTS in my house, simply because TV doesn't compare to watching an event live at the venue
Unfortunately RTP.....I think you are right.

It's just my opinion, and I wouldn't try to force it on others, but England matters to me in a big way be it football, rugby, cricket, whatever. Sky don't give a fc*k about England or the clubs outside the premier and in a way it's hard to blame them.

I remember reading a post on here recently along the lines of someone who worked with a Chelsea fan but didn't want England to win the World CUp because he didn't want to see Gerrard lifting the trophy. What a tw*t, (the Chelsea fan I mean), but unfortuantely says everything about the Premier/Sky product.

Mr Jinx

I cancelled Sky sports & movies around 4 years ago. I think i've only watched a couple of live Prem games in the last two years. They bore me tbh, not helped by Andy Gray's microanalysis. I even fail to get too excited by world cups after germany 2006.

Whereas Exeter City on the other hand - guaranteed excitement (well the last 4 seasons anyway).

Go on, cancel your Sky Sports in protest. You know you want to!

Grecian2K

Spain's winner ALSO bounced down off the crossbar and spun back out again....they gave THAT f*cker though - even though I'm not 201% sure that it actually crossed the line ;)

Sort it aht SeppBladder(ed)forp

Last edited:

Erico

The sad thing is that other leagues cannot compete with the 'sky sports' leagues (EPL, La Liga) regardless of turnover and attendances. For example, Blackpool, with crowds of 20000 at the most next season and not much money made through merchandise etc, will still be able to compete with bigger clubs from 'smaller' leagues due to the massive amount of money raised from TV. Also this leads to a lot of debt and clubs can 'do a portsmouth'!

Went off on a bit of a tangent but I think that football is in trouble and something needs to change.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I cancelled Sky sports & movies around 4 years ago. I think i've only watched a couple of live Prem games in the last two years.
Those two sentences may be related.....:D