• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Euro 2024

sign of the chimes

Didn’t think defence was bad. Coped well in the main with the Serbian attacks.

Hard pushed to say Rice, TAA, Bellingham, Saka and Foden is a weak midfield!
Thought Guehi and Stones did well tonight but Serbia didn't seem more than decent/functional.

I'm not suggesting the players you mention constitute a weak midfield, though I think we've not found a system to maximise the talent there.

I should have been clearer on my comment about transition, which was related to that, as well as there being lots of inexperience outside the starting XI.

Quarters probably par for me this year. If one or two have breakout tournaments we could go deeper.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
We'll get out of the group stages but we need to play a lot better to go any further. It's just so boring to watch. But that's what you get with the international version of paul tisdale in charge. Hopefully this is his last major tournament in charge.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We'll get out of the group stages but we need to play a lot better to go any further. It's just so boring to watch. But that's what you get with the international version of paul tisdale in charge. Hopefully this is his last major tournament in charge.
In fairness this brand of football is the inspiration for how City play under Caldwell and how many sides play now days. This was inspired by Pep, who's man city side whilst amazingly successful are largely an unenjoyable side to actually sit and watch. Agreed though, I remembered the reason I don't actually watch England games anymore. All of that attacking talent is wasted as we offer so little in terms of attacking play.

But Southgate objectively has been our most successful manager in recent years, so difficult to call tbh... Just find the style unbelievably boring

Last edited:

haka

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd go back to a proper 4-3-3; Rice, Bellingham and Foden with Rice as the insurance policy to allow Bellingham and Foden to do what they do. Then play either Gordon or Eze on the left and Saka on the right giving support quicker and higher up the field to Kane.
Southgate faced much criticism pre tournament for the possibility of sticking with this formation, the logic being it restricts Bellingham's forward play. He's listened to the critics and adapted the formation, it'll take a few games for the players to adapt before it can be judged.

Mid Devon Grecian

Southgate faced much criticism pre tournament for the possibility of sticking with this formation, the logic being it restricts Bellingham's forward play. He's listened to the critics and adapted the formation, it'll take a few games for the players to adapt before it can be judged.
Shouldn’t this have been sorted well before the actual tournament?

Pretty odd to be using the tournament to bed the side in!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shouldn’t this have been sorted well before the actual tournament?

Pretty odd to be using the tournament to bed the side in!
I think it's night on impossible using the qualification campaign, which ends months before the tournament, or pre-tournament friendly to really test new tactics.

International football is very fragmented. It's widely accepted that the best teams usually use the group stage to find their feet and grow into the tournament for the latter stages. We're good at giving other countries this grace, but far too impatient with our own lads.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
With Southgate’s impressive record in tournament football, it’s now easy to be blasé about how hard it is to get an opening group game win. Last night was only our 2nd win in 10 attempts in the Euro’s apparently. .

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Southgate "delighted"

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Bellingham "It was a good game"