• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bolton Wanderers Matchday Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was disappointed with the team selection today, thought we should play some pacey players through the middle to give us an outlet. The general consensus around me was that we were saving players for the more important two games to come. Sonny's run for his second demonstrated that running at their giant center backs could pay dividends and the introduction of Rankine, Alli, Eisa and Harper did seem to give us more grip in their half. I also thought their keeper was well dodgy and could have been tested more.

Having said that there were some good performances from some "unfashionable" players today, great to hear crowd applause for Aimson, thought Woods was very effective and even Niskanen was continually getting beyond the Bolton defence. Aitchison was tireless.

Remembered a game when the struggling Fred Binney decided to take on the defence. He beat three players, scored a fantastic goal and a stella career as a goalscorer was launched. Hoping Sonny Cox's two beauties today was a similar milestone for him.
Given our football is so boring it's not surprising that I was fast asleep when Rankine came on :)

crocks

I think for the first time ever, I considered leaving at HT. I was cold (brought the wring coat - it was warm and sunny in Swindon in the morning) and thoroughly fed up with the lack of effort and commitment. With 5-10 mins to go until HT, my daughter asked whether I would like a cuppa. I have never seen so many people going for HT refreshment so early.

Then, start of the 2nd half, we couldnt believe our eyes. People were still taking their seats in our row and I couldnt quite see exactly what happened (thank goodness for the big screen). And then an even better finish 3 minutes later.

Love the understanding between Sweenz and Niskanen. Harris had his best game in a City shirt, some real effort and good to see Aitch back. A little cameo from Alli towards the end...I think he is going to be a firm fans favourite.

grecIAN Harris

Feeling a little bit pedantic this evening Ian? Does my response say mjp? No, it says SJ. I do think bull is no way near bile hence my reply. I think you have a bit of a problem with the original poster and he's got under your skin.
Geoffrey, have a look at who St James was replying to with his post you quoted. Then have a look at the name of other person who's post you quoted along with St James post. You might just notice they aren't the same person. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to prove or point out.

Mid Devon Grecian

I was on the big bank and had a very clear view,it was a deffo handball,but once again the ref didnt see it
Refs generally seem to shy away from giving handball decisions don’t they. I guess if they’re not sure they can’t give it. No VAR to check these things at our level.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I stand right behind the goal and don't recall any handball incidents?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, didn't have a clear view myself, friend on the Bank said it was stonewall
I was on the bank directly in line with it and it looked like a stonewall handball to me.

manc grecian

I stand right behind the goal and don't recall any handball incidents?
Fella with the bun, blonde hair. He had his hand right next to his head so I can see why the ref missed it.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fella with the bun, blonde hair. He had his hand right next to his head so I can see why the ref missed it.
Fair enough! Don't know where I was, just asked my mates and they didn't spot anything either. I don't even recall any big appeals.

Maybe I had zoned out dreaming about times pre Caldwell.

geoffwp

Geoffrey, have a look at who St James was replying to with his post you quoted. Then have a look at the name of other person who's post you quoted along with St James post. You might just notice they aren't the same person. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to prove or point out.
And what? *tiresome boy*

Mid Devon Grecian

Distracted by his lovely bun?