• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bolton Wanderers Matchday Thread

Another important game as we struggle to scrape up enough points to survive another L1 season. Looks like a near sell-out against really tough opponents. Hoping for at least a point but expecting a defeat. UTC!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep. Defeat incoming, but as someone once said why let the result spoil a good day out.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'd hope the players have some sort of footballing pride and want to regain some of that after being humiliated up there earlier this season.

Preview

haka

The Dick Pym derby ...

Here's the report from the first ever game between the teams, when Frank Worthington visited SJP, and came second to Tony Kellow. A win today would be about as unlikely but we live in hope:

The Grecian Archive - Match 13 4th October 1978 Football League Cup 3rd Round Bolton Wanderers (Home) (exeter.ac.uk)

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m gonna stick my neck out here and call it that we won’t make the play offs, but still expect us to try, but not expecting much change today, narrow defeat with both teams to score UTC

• Haha
Reactions: Ash

STURTZ

Going to be quite odd with a fairly strong Easterly wind, perhaps play the other way? At least it should be dry on the big bank.

Bridgy 81

The Dick Pym derby ...

Here's the report from the first ever game between the teams, when Frank Worthington visited SJP, and came second to Tony Kellow. A win today would be about as unlikely but we live in hope:

The Grecian Archive - Match 13 4th October 1978 Football League Cup 3rd Round Bolton Wanderers (Home) (exeter.ac.uk)
Back in January 2023 John Delve was the guest at a Senior Reds meeting.
@andrew p long asked me at the time to see if John remembered a pile driver he scored away against Bradford in 1982-83.
He couldn’t be he did recall one against Bolton at SJP.
We consulted Grecian Archive online there and then and confirmed it was during this League Cup match in 1978.
@Oldsmobile-88 had a very good recall about the game in one of his posts on the Senior Reds’ thread when we discussed it on here last year.
Playing Bolton today has also reminded me of the Dick Pym connection.
I had two interesting visits to Topsham Museum to the exhibition about his life and career last year.
Unfortunately due to limitations of space available it was only temporary i.e. there to commemorate the centenary of his first FA Cup Final win.
I suggested they bring it back in 2026 and 2029 to mark his second and third similarly 🏆🏆🏆

David Treharne

The weather is somewhat akin to watching Exeter City play at home for most of this season. It's dull (70% light grey cloud cover) but with an ESE wind that blows nobody any good [see Sturtz above] and is bringing in lower cloud suggesting that it's going to rain, and the barometer suggests for quite a substantial period. It's 8c but feels colder in what is going to be an easterly wind later on during the morning and early afternoon. If I can stretch the analogy a little furtherto team selection, the weather is also going to be unpredictable. To some extent the playing conditions are going to be determined by an increasing wind strength. I'm not even going to try and predict an outcome, but we certainly do with something out of todays game. Update at 13:00.

iscalad

The Dick Pym derby ...

Interesting team. Big Sam for Bolton, couple of who knows who!
Exeter City:- O'Keefe; Templeman, Giles, Roberts, Hore; Delve, Randell, Hatch; Bowker, Kellow, Holman. in fear

Bolton Wanderers:-
Poole; Graham, Greaves, Walsh, Burke; bald nd by Morgan, Allardyce, Smith; Whatmore, Gowling, Worthington.
Repeat score today would be immense. UTC

noel_blake

I’ve just seen that Bolton Wanderers are noting that today is the 78th anniversary of the Burnden Park disaster when 33 fans were killed in a crush at an FA cup match in 1946.