• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bolton Wanderers Matchday Thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our boring style of football has nothing to do with age.
I was replying to Max about work in progress.

Mid Devon Grecian

I have to accept the verdict of the elite as the view from your seat is, and I mean this, better than that of us peasants on the big bank. But I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning. Rankine's reluctance to produce a telling cross is equally likely to be down to there being no-one in a position to receive one, rather than Caldwell telling him to play it back to Sweeney. In evidence I would cite Caldwell's repeated frustration that our players don't "attack the scoring zone" enough and his preference for Niskanen who does produce lots of crosses, 90% of which, up until yesterday, have been entirely useless.

And I'll think you'll find that it is a lot easier to make "marauding runs into the box" if you're up against Conference defenders rather than league 1 ones. Given the choice between a marauding run into a brick wall and keeping the ball while searching for another option, the latter seems a sensible one, if not all that exciting...
Re attacking the scoring zone, who recruited the players? Who coaches them and sets up the team?

Alistair20000

Two very good goals from Sonny Cox having now seen the highlights to fully appraise. I particularly liked the second where he left their brick shithouse number 5 Santos for dead but he still had some work to do to put it away and duly did so with a sublime strike. 👏 👏 👏

This game was rather like the Fleetwood match but this time it was our turn to completely transform the game after half time. On another day we might have scored four and taken all three points but a point at the start of play and more so at half time looked very unlikely.

Three further points

1. The official attendance of 6,748 looked low assuming they still count all season ticket holders as present.

2. Thought their number 19 Paris Maghoma was one of best away players we have seen at SJP this season. Seemed to be everywhere, strong and quick, scored their first and was a big part of the build up play for their second.

3. Why did Sweenz get a yellow ? Missed the incident.

Antony Moxey

Two very good goals from Sonny Cox having now seen the highlights to fully appraise. I particularly liked the second where he left their brick shithouse number 5 Santos for dead but he still had some work to do to put it away and duly did so with a sublime strike. 👏 👏 👏

This game was rather like the Fleetwood match but this time it was our turn to completely transform the game after half time. On another day we might have scored four and taken all three points but a point at the start of play and more so at half time looked very unlikely.

Three further points

1. The official attendance of 6,748 looked low assuming they still count all season ticket holders as present.

2. Thought their number 19 Paris Maghoma was one of best away players we have seen at SJP this season. Seemed to be everywhere, strong and quick, scored their first and was a big part of the build up play for their second.

There were loads of empty seats in the NOG and the edges of the bank were pretty sparse too.

Sweeney’s yellow was for barging over their player to prevent him breaking through. Taking one for the team I think they call it.

Mid Devon Grecian

Three further points

Sweenz did a cheeky trip on one of there players who had him for pace and was in a good position to threaten our goal. Top work IMO

Mid Devon Grecian

There were loads of empty seats in the NOG and the edges of the bank were pretty sparse too.

Sweeney’s yellow was for barging over their player to prevent him breaking through. Taking one for the team I think they call it.
Yes, bank wasn’t as packed this week.

Ashford Grecian

Best I've seen from Carrol and Aimson this season and the view of Sonny's goals from top of BB were stunning. I hope the subs weren't tactical as Bolton were under serious pressure and looked there for the taking and a 3rd goal would surely have finished then off. Sadly Eisa fluffed his lines, reminds me of Bambi on ice, oh and loved Sweenz old fashioned professional foul

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Yes, bank wasn’t as packed this week.
Slightly surprised Bolton brought only 948 away fans (cf capacity of 1,300 plus), this took a bit off the expected attendance too. But I guess the weather, distance etc affected this.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kevin Nichols said at the Senior Reds meeting that we have the youngest squad in the league.
Work in progress. Hopefully we see the rewards next season
The problem with that theory is Rankine, Harris, Sinisalo, who are 3 of our youngest players won't be with us next season.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member