• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge United Official Matchday Thread

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have had a chance to sleep on yesterday now and I think it feels worse today than it did last night. The issue, is yes a point is better than a defeat, but yesterday even Radio Devon where questioning the short corners, tactics. The co-commentator even said that we don't actually change anything when we make subs, we just stick with the same game plan, but with fresher faces, surely with Radio Devon commentators taking pot shots it is all lost for Caldwell now? The sad part is they are right and what people have been seeing for a long long time now.

If we stick with Caldwell, irrespective of this mythical striker coming in, we are down and it feels like our only hope is further deductions for Reading, remember we would still be in the relegation zone today without Reading's points deductions. What a depressing season this has turned out to be. Caldwell feels like a sat nav without a location set on it and we are just driving round aimlessly praying and hoping we find a destination, Without just driving off the cliff edge.
I heard the conversation between James Vickery ang Graham Kirk after the game and it was pretty much like coming on Exeweb 😅 They were having a right old moan about the short corners and that our tactics in general never change even if they're blatantly not working.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I heard the conversation between James Vickery ang Graham Kirk after the game and it was pretty much like coming on Exeweb 😅 They were having a right old moan about the short corners and that our tactics in general never change even if they're blatantly not working.
I will try and listen to that in a bit, but during the game they where making a number of comments.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watching those highlights is as painful as it was being at SJP yesterday. Cambridge were woeful in the same way that Wigan, Port Vale, Shrewsbury and a few more have been. The frustration is self evident that if we had a couple of forwards in our ranks we would probably be very comfortable mid table now and this forum wouldn't feel the way it does for us all. You can work all week on shape, tactics and the opposition but if you dont have anyone to put it in the onion bag it's all for nothing ..........................
And if you don't put the ball in an area where someone might be able to put it in the onion bag then your onions will just be rolling around looking lost.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I will try and listen to that in a bit, but during the game they where making a number of comments.
I'm pretty sure at one point James Vickery said something along the lines of 'I don't know anything about football but even I know if something isn't working then try something else' though I might be making that up to fit my agenda 🤣

But he definitely said when he spoke to GC on Thursday he was told we are definitely bringing in a striker but it isn't imminent.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just watching all the goals from the EFL yesterday. Loads from long throws, normal corners, hopeful shots that take a deflection.

Someone should tell them about the stats

robchave

I like short corners . . . . as an occasional variation, trying to take opponents by surprise.
I like corners played along the ground to the edge of the 'D' . . . as an occasional variation, trying to take opponents by surprise

Basically, I like variety at corners - surprise is a key element in football.

Alistair20000

Absolute garbage. People weren't booing Sweeney they were booing the 300th short corner.

For most of the game the crowd sat there in silence such was the mind numbing style of play.
There were certainly some quite loud rumblings during the game behind where I was in Block D of the Stansfield yesterday. Directed mostly at the incessant sideways and back passing and in particular the short corners.

Nothing like a full on Millwall type fan protest of course. Maybe that’s what we need.

denzel

Slightly off topic for this thread, but it will be interesting to see the take up of the ‘early bird’ season ticket offer will be compared to recent years. I will be surprised if the said take up is anywhere close to those numbers, which will naturally have a knock on effect for the clubs finances.
Depends how they price it. Surely they can't justify another increase, and if it looks like it will be League Two they will have to reduce it to keep the fans.

malcolms

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I think that whatever happens this season, the manager will still be in post at the start of next season. Whether we remain in league 1 or start off in league 2, I think he will be given another transfer window to start the new season. The issue for the Club Board will be where we are, come November/early December 2024. If we're struggling in league 1 or outside of the play-off zone for league 2, I'd expect the Club Board to act decisively at that point.
Given the evidence "the board acting decisively" is the very essence of an oxymoron..

grecIAN Harris

we won 4 corners in the opening 3 minutes that’s a positive start to a game….and yet we crossed only 1 of those….

After that we probably took another 6/7 corners short before the big bank finally dictated another one wasn’t being taken short 😀

that’s not mixing it up.

We had 11 corners yesterday…how many got crossed into the box? 3 maybe….

Caldwell said in his interview after the game that statistically short corners score you more goals……so on that basis i understand why he’s doing that but surely if your taking a short corner it’s to open up more space to shoot at the edge of the box rather than ending up being boxed in and then playing backwards because at one point it ended up back with our goalkeeper from a corner 😀
I didn't say we did, I said I could understand the need to do so and why..