• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Derby County matchday thread

JGrecian23

To be honest think he has still got a lot to learn
Big step from non league to league one
Hopefully will improve next season
I would play Woods ahead of him you could see the difference in quality
Whoa hold on there. Are you suggesting Cole shouldn't be in the team? You are dropping the one player who doesn't pass sideways or backwards?

Have I misunderstood who you meant or is this genuine?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Collins would have had a field day against Aimless
The first thing a cb should do is defend Diabate had Collins in his pocket
I would put money on the fact Diabate is told to make the simple passes but I do agree he did nearly get caught out a couple of times but at least he had the strength and pace to win the ball back
Yes, a defenders first, second and third job is to defend. But this ain't the 18th century anymore when head it, kick it, tackle it is enough. You have to have a modicum of ability on the ball and awareness of what options you have before the ball comes to you especially the way we play. We're at our best when we move the ball quickly. If you're centre half is almost having to watch the ball on to his foot to control it, he isn't going to be looking at what's in front of him. If he doesn't know what's in front of him, he's going to need time to look up. In that time the rest of the side are being shut down and then we get the situation in the post you quoted.

STURTZ

I wasn't disappointed with our game against Derby, pretty much what I expected result and performance wise.
Without falling into the "our season's over" trap I do think we can afford to step back from the coalface and look at where this team and tactic can go in the future.
With the "Sack Caldwell" nonsense disappearing into the distant blue yonder and the summer transfer window approaching we need to settle on our aproach and assess where we want to strengthen.
One area for me where we are strengthening is in defensive midfield, Woods, Cummins, Dean seem to suggest we are hoping to build a stronger defensive unit capable of breaking up play, protecting our defence and recycling the ball behind our creative midfield.
It's an exciting development for me, a vital link between defence and attack, so why don't we use it?
Getting Woods in for Carroll would be a good start in my book and then see how it develops. Our current set up is too flakey out of possession.

STURTZ

Reading Ian's post above (good to know there are other sad bustards out there). I would add that a defensive midfielder would give a better outlet for our limited central defenders. In stead of the current ploy of playing the ball back and forth across the back line we could have the option of slipping the ball to our DM who would be in a better position to play the ball forward into an attacking area. Quickly!