• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Gillingham Matchday Thread

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
I think I'll go on holiday permanently.

Herschel leaves the UK, City score 7 in a week and grab 6 points out of 6.

:D

BIG DADDY

We're doing well and I am enjoying but what's the harm in wanting perfection. If you don't aim for it, you'll never get it. Think on this though, if you take the square pegs out of the round holes and replace them with round pegs think how much more effective we'll be and as a consequence where we're more likely to end up come the end of the season. Just a thought..............
Tis1, Saunders isn't a winger, he's a wide midfielder. Yes, there is a difference before you ask.
i know what your saying but he doesnt score goals,that's why everyone turned on stansfield a couple of weeks ago,and you still need someone up there to hit a high ball to occasionally, with logan out there he's away from the big centre half and also takes a bit of pressure off stan to deliver all the time

Tony Wizzz

In the Flybe (not in a suit) and having a beer and
Greetings from Cyprus, and well done City, reads like a comfortable win, sad to have missed the match, but sun and Long Island Iced Teas are some consolation. Wore the shirt last night in honour of the win. Good luck to the boys next week against Bury[ecfc]

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
i know what your saying but he doesnt score goals,that's why everyone turned on stansfield a couple of weeks ago,and you still need someone up there to hit a high ball to occasionally, with logan out there he's away from the big centre half and also takes a bit of pressure off stan to deliver all the time
Who doesn't score goals, Logan or Stanno? Either way, I think you're wrong. Stanno, as has been said many times, will score if he's given a decent run of games and allowed to get his confidence and form together. We are reaping those rewards as we speak. And if Logan doesn't score goals, please tell me what he was up to last season? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he finish the season as top scorer. The reason being because he got his arse in the box on a regular basis which he isn't doing at the moment. And before anybody says 'oh but how do you think he scored yesterday', twice in ninety minutes during a very dominant performance is not regular in my book.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok, let me get this right:

Moxey is playing at left-back, but shouldn't be cos he's not a left-back.

Logan is playing as a wide right-sided forward but he's a central striker.

Edwards isn't actually a midfielder at all either, he's a central defender. Or is he a left back?

And why isn't Stewart playing up front, as a striker? That's where he has scored all his goals from in the past.

And if Saunders is ever fit, someone needs to tell him not to stay out too wide cos he ain't a winger, only a right sided midfielder.

I'm confused so god only knows what it must be like for the players! :S No wonder everything is such a mess and we're doing so badly. Sorry, Tisdale but this'll never work - on yer bike son. ;)

grecIAN Harris

Ok, let me get this right:

Moxey is playing at left-back, but shouldn't be cos he's not a left-back.

Logan is playing as a wide right-sided forward but he's a central striker.

Edwards isn't actually a midfielder at all either, he's a central defender. Or is he a left back?

And why isn't Stewart playing up front, as a striker? That's where he has scored all his goals from in the past.

And if Saunders is ever fit, someone needs to tell him not to stay out too wide cos he ain't a winger, only a right sided midfielder.

I'm confused so god only knows what it must be like for the players! :S No wonder everything is such a mess and we're doing so badly. Sorry, Tisdale but this'll never work - on yer bike son. ;)
Moxey depends on your opinion. Some think he is better at left back (where he made the grade first) other left midfield. Logan, bang on. Edwards is a decent convert so we'll leave that one alone. Stewart is bright enough and experienced enough to know what he has to do where he is and Saunders isn't a 'beat three defenders, get to the byline and get a decent cross' sort of a player which is why I wouldn't describe him as a winger. He plays more in the style of David Beckham and you wouldn't call him a winger would you.;). The system works but could work better with a little bit of tinkering.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saunders isn't a 'beat three defenders, get to the byline and get a decent cross' sort of a player..... He plays more in the style of David Beckham
Are you trying to tell me that you don't think Beckham can cross the ball Ian? And here was me thinking you're one of the more knowledgeable chaps on here ;)

I had a conversation with Saunders in Coolings before Christmas and he pretty much told us that he wasn't an out-and-out winger, more a right-sided box-to-box player.

I certainly think Moxey can play there and I think he'll prove it. As I've said before, he probably hasn't been fully fit so far this season after breaking his foot in the summer and missing pre-season.

And I was jesting re: Stewart :)

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Are you trying to tell me that you don't think Beckham can cross the ball Ian? And here was me thinking you're one of the more knowledgeable chaps on here ;)

I had a conversation with Saunders in Coolings before Christmas and he pretty much told us that he wasn't an out-and-out winger, more a right-sided box-to-box player.
Put the first part of the sentence back in and tell me when you've seen Beckham do that? As for your converstaion with Saunders, that's exactly what I'm getting at. He'll get himself into advanced positions and make himself yard to get his delivery in (just like Beckham ;))

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Put the first part of the sentence back in and tell me when you've seen Beckham do that?
That was my attempt at a bit of tabloid journalism ho ho.

I just found an interesting quote on a Gills forum

Gills have got a lot of fans in the West Country due to them moving to Plymouth when Chatham Dockyard closed
I'm even more pleased we stuffed them now!

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Here's where I stand with the curent discussion. In my opinion, Logan has to play his current role. I am a big fan of 4-3-3 with the current squad, but this could leave us exposed. So...when we need to defend it makes sense for the two wingers to drop back just a smidge and play 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 or even 5-4-1. Out of the three strikers Logan and Stewart are the obvious choice to drop back and build from deep as they haven't got the legs to be a lone striker.

I, like most people was baffled as to why Logan was down the right, until I've seen what Tisdale is doing, and it works brilliantly. Logan and Stewart are both well with the program from what I've seen.

At 0-0, or when we need to attack, we have the flexibility for both wingers to play up-front, but when we need to defend, we can pull them back again. Modern football is all about dynamism and changing tactics so quickly and several times a game seamlessly. That is what we did in Macclesfield so well and also yesterday. Both teams in the top end of the table, neither got much of a sniff on goal despite playing what would seem like a 4-3-3 formation (away from home on one occasion). The reason they never got a sniff is just for that reason - we switched systems very well, and very effectively.