• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread (Boxing Day 2023)

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
“Obviously Exeter are an energetic side”

“I thought Exeter had an extra spring in their step in the first half”

What?

Devonboy

Did we not just win?

You would hardly know it based on recent posts on this thread.

Red Devon

Haven’t seen him mentioned much but I thought Aitchison was involved in most of our best attacking moments…He had the Wycombe defence under pressure on several occasions with some tricky running into the box.

Mid Devon Grecian

Given that 20 points is enough to be outside the relegation zone half-way through the season we could be in for an unusually low number of points needed to stay up.
Let’s hope that’s the case! Think we just need to focus on ‘winning’ our mini league at the bottom.

CC

Given that 20 points is enough to be outside the relegation zone half-way through the season we could be in for an unusually low number of points needed to stay up.
Only outside relegation zone because Reading have had a points deduction.

tavyred

Our possession based game certainly makes more sense if we don’t concede first and then go on to score ourselves.
Both Diabate and Cox look different players for us I though yesterday, be ironic I think if it wasn’t our January signings that were the catalyst to turning our season around, but two “of our own”.

arthur

Our possession based game certainly makes more sense if we don’t concede first and then go on to score ourselves.
Both Diabate and Cox look different players for us I though yesterday, be ironic I think if it wasn’t our January signings that were the catalyst to turning our season around, but two “of our own”.
I can't remember who's idea it was to send Cox to Yeovil....

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think it is unfair to say that overall the game yesterday was a poor one in terms of quality and sides with little confidence to boot. Wycombe where seriously poor beyond belief and for once we managed to shade a poor game of football in our favour.

The performance didn't really matter though we just needed a win and we have managed to find one and hopefully this will be a springboard into the next 3 matches. We ideally need 6 points from the 9 (Preferably the wins coming against Reading and Carlisle).

Caldwell still very much shouldn't be here, but it felt bloody good to finally get a league win yesterday.

upto 14 goals for the season, of which 4 have been against Wycombe (28.57% against Wycombe and 21.42% on the opening day of the season).

Last edited:

arthur

Best thing for me was the changed formation. Glad GC reads Exeweb

Until we get two wing backs who can tackle, we should play a back 4

Sinsalo

Sweeney Diabate Hartridge Jules

Kite/Aimson Cole

Rankine Taylor/Aitchison Wildschut

Cox
Aimson for Sweenz and Carroll for Kite/Aimson and that was the team :)

denzel

I'm glad you picked out Cole because I also thought he was magnificent. Carroll too, like you, I thought had a good second half. Also, the crowd at the end, lead by the BB, but well supported by the other two stands, was fantastic. The choice of music, Rocking all over the world, Free from desire and Sweet Caroline really helped to create a euphoric atmosphere as we left. All the disappointment of recent months seemed a long way away. I just hope we don't come back to earth with a bump on Friday! Up the City!
Let's be clear here. The atmosphere for most of the game was muted, it was only the penalty decision and subsequent save that galvanised the fans.
Its not worth thinking about what would have happened if the penalty had gone in..