• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Barrow - Discussion

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The most important thing for me from the recent games is to play good football. Teams that have sucked us into playing long ball have beaten us. When we came out for the second half versus Bolton that was probably the best football we can play, keeping possession and building attacks from the back through midfield and then into attack. It is so frustrating to see players boot the ball long, it is such a low perctentage play for us.
That is easier said than done though. If the space to play through midfield is there we are fine doing that. If it isn't then you need a midfielder with the technique and the bottle to demand the ball in tight areas and play forward. A Noble, a Gill, a Grimes, a Harley or Tommy Doc (keep Ali quiet 😉). At the moment we haven't got that. Archie is the closest but it isn't really his strength. It's why he gets caught in possession at times when there is little movement in front of him as he sometimes hangs on to the ball waiting for something to open up rather than give it back and go again like Gill, have the strength like Noble to shrug a challenge off or the technique of Grimes to beat the player or give and go.

When that happens, the defenders lose confidence, play percentage and go long. The only other way around it is to have good movement out wide. But again, when space is condensed, Williams and Willmott find it difficult. Williams hasn't always got good movement and with his lack of strength can easily be crowded out. Willmott, I don't think has the game for that either.

It is certainly an area to improve and the reason why we are where we are.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
You’re right, we can’t but hasn’t the salary cap been scrapped anyway?
Yes but the SCMP is presumably back in force - you can only spend half qualifying turnover in the season / financial year on players wages etc. And only the installments of transfer fees received / due in that season count as turnover.

grecIAN Harris

Three centre backs and a holding midfielder against a team that has problems scoring? Don"t agree with you with that one. Too negative 4-4-2 for me:
Iceman
Key
Sweeney
Hartridge or Parkes
Page
Williams
Jake
Collins
Sparkes
Jay
Bowman

One last push to get into playoffs.
But then you've never got the attacking concept of having five in midfield.

Rosencrantz

Or the attacking potential of the wide centre backs as demonstrated admirably by Sweenz last Tuesday.

Exehausted

Three centre backs and a holding midfielder against a team that has problems scoring? Don"t agree with you with that one. Too negative 4-4-2 for me:
Iceman
Key
Sweeney
Hartridge or Parkes
Page
Williams
Jake
Collins
Sparkes
Jay
Bowman

One last push to get into playoffs.

I would argue that my line-up is more attacking, particularly if it's the 3-1-4-1-1. that I suggested. They pack the midfield with five and having just four there would make it tough for us. With Williams and Sparkes as attacking wing backs we should be able to get around the back and get some decent crosses in. If Randell doesn't make a real impression in the first half and we aren't in front, I would put Key on for the second half. Even if we went 4-4-2 it would be Sparkes instead of Page for me. Page's forward passing is most often over hit down the line where as Jack seems to be able to play dangerous balls forward for people to run onto. When it comes to crosses Jack is way in front. Of course, Matt is unlikely to do what either of us suggest, but it's fun guessing!

IndoMike

strength
My theory has always been to play 3-5-2 against the teams that are strong and could dominate the midfield and 4-4-2 against teams that are theoretically not so dangerous or not so likely to dominate midfield. Why have three big central defenders to play against one not especially good striker?
If it's not working then you can change it.
I am not underrating Barrow at all, but theoretically and statistically we are better than them. We just have to prove it

Last edited:

tonykellowfan

That is easier said than done though. If the space to play through midfield is there we are fine doing that. If it isn't then you need a midfielder with the technique and the bottle to demand the ball in tight areas and play forward. A Noble, a Gill, a Grimes, a Harley or Tommy Doc (keep Ali quiet 😉). At the moment we haven't got that. Archie is the closest but it isn't really his strength. It's why he gets caught in possession at times when there is little movement in front of him as he sometimes hangs on to the ball waiting for something to open up rather than give it back and go again like Gill, have the strength like Noble to shrug a challenge off or the technique of Grimes to beat the player or give and go.

When that happens, the defenders lose confidence, play percentage and go long. The only other way around it is to have good movement out wide. But again, when space is condensed, Williams and Willmott find it difficult. Williams hasn't always got good movement and with his lack of strength can easily be crowded out. Willmott, I don't think has the game for that either.

It is certainly an area to improve and the reason why we are where we are.
This is certainly all true, but I have noticed many times that the back 4 are booting the ball long when there is a simple option available, Key is particularly prone to this. As we showed in the second half against Bolton we can do it. We have the players with the skills necessary.

IndoMike

Or the attacking potential of the wide centre backs as demonstrated admirably by Sweenz last Tuesday.
Our centre backs score few goals. Sweenz goal was a special case when everyone including the Iceman went up for the free kick. It was not part of a system of play.

Red Devon

A lot will depend on who gets the opening goal, if Barrow get it we will start to make substitutions and gradually lose our shape and things could get increasingly desperate...whereas if we can get our noses in front the game will become a lot easier for us to manage.

Rosencrantz

This is certainly all true, but I have noticed many times that the back 4 are booting the ball long when there is a simple option available, Key is particularly prone to this. As we showed in the second half against Bolton we can do it. We have the players with the skills necessary.
Skills but not yet always consistency and confidence. Bolton wasn't an ordinary game in terms of space on the pitch. That space was there in the first half but we were a bit tentative and got on the back foot until just before half time. Second half we were on it. Not all teams allow that kind of space or play through the thirds like Bolton though. To play against teams who do condense the space and are direct, we are not quite there.