• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter Vs Newport County U18s FA Youth Cup - match day thread

tom_ecfc

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Made it look more nervy than it was.Newport were a dirty lot.Hopefully the players that went off haven't picked up bad injuries.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apologies my fault I tuned in and we were 4-0 up - promise I will ban myself from future games :D

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Got sloppy early in the second half which is where their two goals came from. Then we missed quite a few chances to put it back out of sight although Sonny was unlucky a few times. Newport didn't really look like getting a third until they did and then it was hanging on time. When we play through the midfield we looked strong with Billington, O'Connor and then Beardmore linking with the strikers.

The ref was poor. I know I might have red tinted specs but it looked like the only free kicks we were getting were yellow card fouls and he wasn't always giving them. Not much needed to award a free kick the other way though.

GrecianHarry

Did Lee go off because he was injured at all?

andrew p long

Well I have to say that there was an awful lot of that performance that I really didn't like, even when we were 4-0 up. Some superb football for the goals, but loads of casual play as well, which in the second half resulted in an entirely predictable concession of 3 goals.

(NB what is it about goals at the St James Road end? Just like Bristol Rovers last season when City won 4-1 and 5-3 with all 13 goals at that end, tonight similarly had all seven goals there too!)

andrew p long

Did Lee go off because he was injured at all?
Yes.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apologies my fault I tuned in and we were 4-0 up - promise I will ban myself from future games :D
That makes two of us...

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bad news was the injuries to those players who are backing our first team up (James & Lee) - may need Jokull or similar back as emergency keeper if Lee & Blackman are out next week.

The not so good news was letting Newport back into the game but a lot of this was due to the loss of James & Lee.

The good news is that our U18's play like our first team so when they do get the chance they know how to play in our system - message to GC please don't bugger up what works for us Grecians !

The really really good news is that we may have another Joller / Ben partnership which helped get us so far in the Pizza Trophy Cup etc a few moons ago - welcome to the Cox & Spencer show ! Could lightning strike twice ? - I really hope so !

One things for certain the U18 Class of 2022 are well worth watching, just hope that Wayne Carlisle wasn't in the crowd just to hand out draft Rotter contracts to our Grecian academites !

UTC

PS Where have Simmons & Spencer been hiding ?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well I have to say that there was an awful lot of that performance that I really didn't like, even when we were 4-0 up. Some superb football for the goals, but loads of casual play as well, which in the second half resulted in an entirely predictable concession of 3 goals.

(NB what is it about goals at the St James Road end? Just like Bristol Rovers last season when City won 4-1 and 5-3 with all 13 goals at that end, tonight similarly had all seven goals there too!)
Hopefully that's just down to the fact the lads aren't that used to playing together and also haven't had their regular coach for the last few weeks.