• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fan Q&A

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting. Only saw your lot 3/4 times last season, but I look at your squad and think you should have challenged for at least the top 7.
In theory the squad was okay, in reality they played ****e in virtually every game. There comes a point where you have to stop blaming the manager and have a bit of a look at the performance of the players. All too often the remarkably simple stuff (as in, simple by Sunday League standards) just wasn't being done by the players.

Pobbop

For me it all comes down to whether we are getting the best out of our resources. If you think that with our squad 16th is acceptable then that is up to you. I think we should be doing better, and I am in no way suggesting we should take risks with our finances.

We just need value for money from our manager and players. We need to prioritise what we can do to grow that budget which is mainly trying to win home and cup games primarily to attract crowds and win prize money, and if we have assets then sometimes we will need to sell them on. Our away form is creditable, but winning the homes would be more valuable to us. I agree Tisdale did very well for five years, but the last five is the issue. A new manager performing that way for five years wouldn't survive imo, so Tisdale is still here because of that history.

I personally think whatever happens someone will always make an excuse for him. Our club seems to be the only one I can think of where this happens. I want to see either we improve or someone else is given a shot, or at the very least if we finish in mid table we do so by throwing everything we have into winning those matches. I can't agree that we have done that, especially with the squad we had last season.
We seem to be going in circles here, but to recap I do hope for better then 16th, am 50/50 about Tis staying, and don't think you can just say, with our history, that financial security is just an "excuse". It's why I'm not likely to be screaming Tisdale out even if we finish disappointingly 16th.

Yet I am going to wait and see on the new signings, 4 or 5 of the right age and potential quality to do well, with plenty of time to work with the squad. With Watkins being a potential superstar.

It's not been that bad a pre-season for me, and with Simpson up-front there's definitely a chance we will be able to use the wingers at our disposal, McAlinden isn't small either.

Pobbop

In theory the squad was okay, in reality they played ****e in virtually every game. There comes a point where you have to stop blaming the manager and have a bit of a look at the performance of the players. All too often the remarkably simple stuff (as in, simple by Sunday League standards) just wasn't being done by the players.
Indeed, but has to be tempered that Tis brought in the players. The thing is you are right though, I'm pretty sure with Holmes, Wheeler and Grant in there Tis did want to play a more expansive game last year, but our total inability to do the basics at times was frightening, including passing 10 yards to a player with the same colour shirt. Oh and defending particularly our full-backs, but we've still got bloody Woodman, but a reason I'm not devastated to see Ribs go. Mind you not sure who'll replace him. Might have a better idea at 15.00 today.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
We seem to be going in circles here, but to recap I do hope for better then 16th, am 50/50 about Tis staying, and don't think you can just say, with our history, that financial security is just an "excuse". It's why I'm not likely to be screaming Tisdale out even if we finish disappointingly 16th.

Yet I am going to wait and see on the new signings, 4 or 5 of the right age and potential quality to do well, with plenty of time to work with the squad. With Watkins being a potential superstar.

It's not been that bad a pre-season for me, and with Simpson up-front there's definitely a chance we will be able to use the wingers at our disposal, McAlinden isn't small either.
Ok so you are 50/50 but unlikely to want him gone if we finish 8th from bottom. :)

I am looking forwards to see the new signings and hopefully the team will do well. A lot will depend on if TAH can feature enough to help the centre of defence, and we need to be much stronger at left and right back. Hopefully Lloyd James can replace Noble, but I feel we will need to different plan to play against some of the more physical sides and during the winter period when it would be foolish to expect perfect playing conditions.

We have good wide options, hopefully Simpson and mcalinden will score enough goals and Watkins can continue to do well now that sides will be paying him more attention. Lastly Tisdale will need to show something different if/when we have a sticky spell. It's no good playing exactly the same way at home, and expecting different results.

Pobbop

Ok so you are 50/50 but unlikely to want him gone if we finish 8th from bottom. :)

I am looking forwards to see the new signings and hopefully the team will do well. A lot will depend on if TAH can feature enough to help the centre of defence, and we need to be much stronger at left and right back. Hopefully Lloyd James can replace Noble, but I feel we will need to different plan to play against some of the more physical sides and during the winter period when it would be foolish to expect perfect playing conditions.

We have good wide options, hopefully Simpson and mcalinden will score enough goals and Watkins can continue to do well now that sides will be paying him more attention. Lastly Tisdale will need to show something different if/when we have a sticky spell. It's no good playing exactly the same way at home, and expecting different results.
Nope if we finish 16th I'll be more than 50/50 on him going, but I won't be screaming for it.

As said I think we tried playing differently at home last season, but it didn't work.

Jammers20

Tisdale for me has been here 2 years too long. I comend him for what he done in the past, but the last 2 years especially have been very very poor. His team choices leave you scratching your head when they are announced. You think he obviously knows something about the opposition and has combatted it by doing something tactically. This always turns out not to be the case and he is just cluless of players best positions. I watch all home games and teams come to SJP and are quite happy to sit back and soak up whatever pressure we bring. they always hit us on the break, It happens all the time, yet Tisdale refuses to change approach. Finances for me are obviously important that goes without saying, but for me the club now hide behind that and use it as an excuse for anything and everything.
On another thread I have predicted an 18th finish for the season, And would be certainly calling for the managers head. the lack of depth to the squad is worrying for me.
Tisdale and Tagg, to me have too friendly a working relationship, it seems the job is Tisdales no matter what until he decides he's had enough, which is wrong. the club has lost direction and more and more fans have had enough and are voting with their feet..