• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fans Forum - Tuesday 24th July

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems strange for Stockley to do the fans forum if he is on the verge of leaving. If I were Matt Taylor, I'd be selling him a vision of league one football and that we already have a first team worthy of playing at that level. Make Stockley feel like an important part of the future of the club and has the potential to become a club legend. Make him realise that he knows our club, knows how to score here. Get him to look at our signings and show him our intent and sell him our future.
Yes he has the potential to be our all time leading scorer if he remains at the club for a few years, I guess it depends on what he wants out of life, most players are driven by cash however not everyone is the same, if he enjoys it here, is paid well and his family are settled and happy that may be more important to him than a move that could be risky apart from the financial side.

He does have experience of a move than didn't work out (Aberdeen) so that may play a part.

Personally I don't see him as a Championship striker who is going to get you 10 - 15 goals, I believe league 1 is his limit, at our level he is superb however the second tier is a massive step up.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes he has the potential to be our all time leading scorer if he remains at the club for a few years, I guess it depends on what he wants out of life, most players are driven by cash however not everyone is the same, if he enjoys it here, is paid well and his family are settled and happy that may be more important to him than a move that could be risky apart from the financial side.

He does have experience of a move than didn't work out (Aberdeen) so that may play a part.

Personally I don't see him as a Championship striker who is going to get you 10 - 15 goals, I believe league 1 is his limit, at our level he is superb however the second tier is a massive step up.
Totally agree with your last paragraph. Stockley is fantastic at this level but for me he lacks too much pace and mobility to make it in the Championship. I may be wrong but I get the feeling he’d struggle to make a step up to PNE or Ipswich.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Totally agree with your last paragraph. Stockley is fantastic at this level but for me he lacks too much pace and mobility to make it in the Championship. I may be wrong but I get the feeling he’d struggle to make a step up to PNE or Ipswich.
His career record shows that he has only consistently scored goals for Exeter.

muppetdodger

His career record shows that he has only consistently scored goals for Exeter.
Correction - he has only scored goals for Tisdale - Stadium MK here he comes you wait and see!

The Doctor

I totally disagree. He is a quality player and I think he would easily be good enough to play for a championship team. I'm not bothered about his past record, the evidence of last season was crystal clear to me. He's a beast at our level and with proper support and service could score 30 this year.

muppetdodger

I totally disagree. He is a quality player and I think he would easily be good enough to play for a championship team. I'm not bothered about his past record, the evidence of last season was crystal clear to me. He's a beast at our level and with proper support and service could score 30 this year.
Not got anything like enough pace for the championship,

The Doctor

I love a quick striker but I can't see how championship strikers can only be successful if they have pace. Mitrovic took the division by storm last year and I'd say their styles are similar.

tonykellowfan

It's all about his wages tbh. Don't forget Grimes left us and went from £500 a week to £10k a week. A club higher up the league could easily double his wages and quite simply he is not going to say no to that.

MerleyRed

Interesting that Matt stated the two youngsters closest to first team exposure, were Jack Sparkes and Will Dean. No surprise about Sparkes, but Will Dean seems to have been under the radar until now. Not sure I even know what position he plays.

Matt also commented that for every player, we have already identified potential replacements should anybody depart. This point was made in response to a question about cover for Christie Pym, should anybody show an interest in recruiting him. In this example, Chris Weale as Goalkeeping Coach, is the man who has already identifed a potential replacement, if required. I did not take this to mean that there was an expectation that Christie was going to depart, but others may have interpretted this differently.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting that Matt stated the two youngsters closest to first team exposure, were Jack Sparkes and Will Dean. No surprise about Sparkes, but Will Dean seems to have been under the radar until now. Not sure I even know what position he plays.

Matt also commented that for every player, we have already identified potential replacements should anybody depart. This point was made in response to a question about cover for Christie Pym, should anybody show an interest in recruiting him. In this example, Chris Weale as Goalkeeping Coach, is the man who has already identifed a potential replacement, if required. I did not take this to mean that there was an expectation that Christie was going to depart, but others may have interpretted this differently.
Good points. Is Will Dean a centre back?

On Christy I was wondering what to make of what was said. It sounded worryingly detailed planning ; but on reflection it has to be sensible. As he could otherwise leave for free next summer, and may well attract decent bids, we need to have a well developed contingency plan that can be implemented at (very) short notice.