• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fleetwood Town vs Exeter City match day thread

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saw the game online yesterday but too preoccupied to post on here. There was a distinct lack of focus from players that normally do better and I honestly thought that Fleetwood deserved to win this one. It's fading in my memory now, but I thought that there was a clear penalty to them when Hartridge shoved a player in the penalty area in the back when he was on the ball, but he didn't go down so didn't get the pen, not long before we equalised for 2-2. Agreed though that we did well to stay in it and push for the second goal, and great to see Sweenz net it so convincingly. Mitchell was yet again our best player I think, and we are blessed to have him. I agreed with the commentators that we were a bit sloppy on their goals but they were excellent finishes, both of them. Anthony Wareing, normally quite good, probably had his worst game as a commentator for me, identifying a disallowed goal as offside when it was a header from a corner among other bad calls. Yes, Hartridge did not have a good game, but people doubting that he's good enough for League One are way off the mark. It was a big shame that Jay Stansfield got injured given how good he was in the previous two games (and generally). Joe White played an excellent ball through to him when he went down, but like a lot of people I am still on the fence regarding whether he is actually a useful addition to the team or not. Needs to concentrate on the best pass and making sure said pass is completed. Josh Key again looked dangerous down the right and I hope people now understand what makes him a hot property in this division. In the end, a point away is not too bad. Roll on Friday!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fairly certain Kite off was a tactical change to allow Archie to drop deeper as he wasn’t doing well further up the pitch
GC said in interview that it was an energy thing, with Kite having started all 3 games in the week.

STURTZ

GC said in interview that it was an energy thing, with Kite having started all 3 games in the week.
We employ a number of coaches, analysts and qualified medics, just how clever do you have to be to realise that two really hard games and a 6 hour coach journey will make players tired? Sweeny mentioned it, Kite and Stanno got injured, the whole team were running out of steam. Poor squad management.

denzel

We employ a number of coaches, analysts and qualified medics, just how clever do you have to be to realise that two really hard games and a 6 hour coach journey will make players tired? Sweeny mentioned it, Kite and Stanno got injured, the whole team were running out of steam. Poor squad management.
Yes but we hardly have much strength in depth, that team picked itself and I doubt many on here argued about the line up. We have beaten teams in recent weeks who have played midweek, this time the boot was on the other foot and that's just how it is.
Incidentally just heard the latest excuse for the GAWS capitulation, apparently they were rusty after not playing for two weeks....

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But Harry didn't get injured - the manager said he was taking off at half time to give him a rest after starting three games in a week having just come back from injurt.

Andy Holloway

The '6 hour coach journey' was on Friday, with a good night's sleep in a hotel Friday night, so no reason to be tired.

Red Devon

The '6 hour coach journey' was on Friday, with a good night's sleep in a hotel Friday night, so no reason to be tired.
Closer to 9 hours was what was being said at the ground on Saturday after serious delays due to roadworks on the M6 Friday.

Phillip

Closer to 9 hours was what was being said at the ground on Saturday after serious delays due to roadworks on the M6 Friday.
Indeed. We saw the team at Hilton Park Services on Friday lunchtime and it took us at least three more hours on the M6 to get to Preston.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I didn't see anyone selling programmes. Was I not being very observant or were there none on sale? In fact I've only managed one or two at away games this season. ☹

tom_ecfc

I didn't see anyone selling programmes. Was I not being very observant or were there none on sale? In fact I've only managed one or two at away games this season. ☹
Lots of teams going online only to save costs.