• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Full House?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There was so much room in the away end it was ridiculous, and that was before the mass exodus during the second half.
It holds 950,but cut down to around 800 for this game.
It did not look like even that number were in there,though the away attendance given suggested there were .

grecIAN Harris

Nothing to do with the Old Bill.There would have been a risk assessment carried out by the club & it would have been their decision.

A pity it was not fully filled(Both away end & Stagecoach A block) but that’s the way of things in grounds these days.
So the club are shooting themselves in the foot financially? That's just plain poor management and stupidity. You never saw Argiggle section off the left hand side (as we sit/stand looking out on to the pitch) of the Barn Park End for fear of people getting between their and the Mayflower. Why? Because there is a physical gap between the two just as there is between St James Road End and the Stanno.

Spoonz Red E

So the club are shooting themselves in the foot financially? That's just plain poor management and stupidity. You never saw Argiggle section off the left hand side (as we sit/stand looking out on to the pitch) of the Barn Park End for fear of people getting between their and the Mayflower. Why? Because there is a physical gap between the two just as there is between St James Road End and the Stanno.
No point having risk assessments if you don't access risks.
The Mayflower had, in effect, it's own segregation zone due to the unused terrace at the front.
The distances between the two structures are different - much less of a gap here.
This factors in to a risk equation in terms of reaction times, room to manoeuvre, missile throwing. flares etc.
The policing is also much heavier down there - including rows of police dog handlers.

Maybe there was too much caution - it's a new layout we're dealing with at the away end.

We did use a new control technique quite successfully.
Putting four goals past their team.

grecIAN Harris

No point having risk assessments if you don't access risks.
The Mayflower had, in effect, it's own segregation zone due to the unused terrace at the front.
The distances between the two structures are different - much less of a gap here.
This factors in to a risk equation in terms of reaction times, room to manoeuvre, missile throwing. flares etc.
The policing is also much heavier down there - including rows of police dog handlers.

Maybe there was too much caution - it's a new layout we're dealing with at the away end.

Did the club ever think of having the rigging draped down either side to stop movement and missiles? That would be far more effective in the missile argument. Most people can still throw something across the gap but if they'd be lucky to throw it through a block that the rigging would give that way. I know you're going to back the organisation Spoonz because of your position but I think they went OTT and got it wrong. We never sectioned off the corner of the old set up and had the away seating in the Old Grandstand. I would have thought, if anything, that it is far easier to manage now than it ever has been.

Spoonz Red E

Did the club ever think of having the rigging draped down either side to stop movement and missiles? That would be far more effective in the missile argument. Most people can still throw something across the gap but if they'd be lucky to throw it through a block that the rigging would give that way. I know you're going to back the organisation Spoonz because of your position but I think they went OTT and got it wrong. We never sectioned off the corner of the old set up and had the away seating in the Old Grandstand. I would have thought, if anything, that it is far easier to manage now than it ever has been.
What I say is nothing to do with 'defending the organisation'
It's my own take on the situation and possible reasonings.

I've said there may have been too much caution - the same as you think.

grecIAN Harris

What I say is nothing to do with 'defending the organisation'
It's my own take on the situation and possible reasonings.

I've said there may have been too much caution - the same as you think.
Fair enough...

Grecian2K

Not entirely new Spoonz.
It was tried once before....back in 1925! :D

RadioGilbert

Watching Swansea v Cardiff today there seems to be less segregation than SJP :(. There is a clear divide between Stagecoach and St James stands, plus police control in between, which you would assume would take away the need for overkill. Thankfully more common sense is used in the IP main stand regarding segregation. As for the big bank, it was visible that it wasn't anywhere near as full as previous big games. Who took upon themselves to do an unwarranted risk assessment on the big bank, obviously someone in the club who has their freebie ticket guaranteed. Real shame that more fans were not there to witness a fantastic performance. The fact that our ground has only recently finished redevelopment and we cut yesterday's capacity by around 700 is a real concern. During redevelopment many voiced their upset that the Stagecoach stand wasn't extended the full length, ironic now that we have now reduced capacity on 3 sides already. If the club is to progress, we will need to relocate as SJP will never cope with big games like yesterday and ultimately will lose frustrated potential fans. With trust elections coming up, it would be pointless prospective trustees pledging to increase membership when we can't take anymore in. Come on City, stop shutting out fans.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
RadioGilbert..I have a avatar for you
9D586C08-097D-494A-BF2A-51B22A726F70.jpeg

Spoonz Red E

Who took upon themselves to do an unwarranted risk assessment on the big bank, obviously someone in the club who has their freebie ticket guaranteed.
It's my understanding that the Big Bank capacity was reduced due to new regulations and was not decided by the club.
As for the 'freebie ticket' jibe - surely the greater the capacity the more freebies for all these freeloaders I've yet to meet? ..... ah well.
Everyone I know at the Club wants as many people to see us as possible.