• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

DJG.ECFC

Do you really think that the height of our ambition is a swift return to League 2 with a large bank balance ? Yeah great plan, let's sell Jevani, Nombe, Key and anyone else we can, watch results go into free fall, attendances plummet and end up as one of the richer clubs in League 2 next year, with gates back to 4k and the momentum of "Project 6000" in tatters. Strewth ! :unsure:
The club is run in a shoestring as it is do you not think the club from a business perspective would rather get something for jevani now to quickly reinvest in another player rather than getting nothing for him in the summer…

Boyo

hit the nail on the head here chap, project 6000 requires exciting football and footballers, we'll be back down to 4000 gates extremely quickly if we start replacing them with scottish oil tankers
He's going to leave either today or in the summer, and there's zip all we can do about it. If there's an offer of a few hundred grand, then I'd take the money and look to invest that into the next Jevanni Brown.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jevani going would be gutting, but my hope of any contract extension was long gone anyway. He either leaves now or the summer, either way it would be hugely surprising to see him in a City shirt next season. As I say, we can't stand in players way due to our ownership structure, so this isn't on Caldwell.

Key can go with my best wishes and an expectation of him quite quickly finding himself in League 2 again. Take the money and run, much like Tom Nichols.

I think Nombe going would be a hammer blow for our results if it was coupled with JB leaving, however - the ownership format dictates. And because of that I'd have to back the logic of making big money on him and putting it into our next wave of recruits over a couple of seasons.

If people want different outcomes to the above, then a change in the way we're owned is the only realistic way to do it.

Grecian Max

I would say RE: the Hull striker, in that from early impressions GC seems to know a good player so willing to trust the judgement. We need a player to get on the end of numerous balls into the box - we rely heavily on wing play and don't play through the middle as much as people think we might do (even though both goals at MK Dons did)

Mr Jinx

Possibly replacing Sam Nombe with James Scott wouldn’t look good to me on paper. Got to trust Gary’s judgement though. Twelve hours to find out.
Aye, James Scott, on paper, has a real crappy goal return.

Mr Jinx

GC seems to know a good player
How are you justifying that? Not arguing with you (not yet anyway, lol), just keen to understand your angle.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
How are you justifying that? Not arguing with you, just keen to understand your angle.
Presumably based upon our business so far?

Grecian Max

How are you justifying that? Not arguing with you (not yet anyway, lol), just keen to understand your angle.
I put “from early impressions” (“seems” also being a key word here) - eg the small amount of time I’ve seen of both White and Mitchell play

As always a quote out of context is meaningless

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is it 23:01 yet??

Bat Fastard

He's going to leave either today or in the summer, and there's zip all we can do about it. If there's an offer of a few hundred grand, then I'd take the money and look to invest that into the next Jevanni Brown.
I take a less pragmatic view about it, keep hold of the lads and have a crack at the playoffs, it’s certainly more likely than relegation - who knows when we’re gonna be in this position again - was 10 years since the last time. This is probably why I’m not in charge of a football club however. I also think we’d be very fortunate to get a few hundred grand for a 28 year old with 6 months of his contract left. I’d roll the dice, a hundred grand is nothing compared to the Watkins/ampadu/Randell fees and he’s been more influential than any of those…