• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecianman135

I think we need 4 signings in January to have any hope of avoiding relegation
And we'll probably end up with Zanzala on loan... and another keeper as three's just not enough;)

AndyR

At least two strikers with reasonable experience, one experienced CM and one or more brick shiphouse defenders
Definitely the strikers but not sure we need more defenders as the current ones proved earlier in the season they can perform. I think the brick shiphouse description could also be added to the CM. I've wondered recently if either Aimson or Jules is capable of playing as a defensive midfielder alongside Kite in front of a back four. Remit: get stuck in as the rest of our midfield is a bit lightweight to say the least (although the whole shape should also be helped when the wide players come back from injury).

AndyR

And we'll probably end up with Zanzala on loan... and another keeper as three's just not enough;)
I quite liked Zanzala! He got stuck in and caused a nuisance, unlike the players we have up there at the moment....

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Before I lose the plot, could we all agree on some basic facts -

1. Scott and Muskwe aren't good enough in quality or quantity (we need more than two)
2. We can't sign anyone who'll make a difference, till January
3. We are not restricted to shopping in the "can't be worse than what we've already got" bin
4. There's therefore no point talking about Norther Premier League trialists or Zanzala. If Zanzala was in the squad and not getting picked, fair enough. We don't need to sign Zanzala.

Bat Fastard

1. Scott and Muskwe aren't good enough in quality or quantity (we need more than two)
3. We are not restricted to shopping in the "can't be worse than what we've already got" bin
4. There's therefore no point talking about Norther Premier League trialists or Zanzala. If Zanzala was in the squad and not getting picked, fair enough. We don't need to sign Zanzala.
Who do you expect us to be signing and from what level then? Seems you’ve got very strong ideas about who we shouldn’t…

AndyR

All agreed although with reference to the strikers, if the players that we would really like are not available/ too expensive/ won't join us, we may well have to take a chance on players who offer something more than what we currently have e.g. physical presence or power in the air. I don't think anyone disagrees that up front something has to change, the stats alone are ample proof of that.

Reactions: Ash

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who do you expect us to be signing and from what level then? Seems you’ve got very strong ideas about who we shouldn’t…
I expect we'll sign players that most people wouldn't be completely baffled at them joining a bottom half league one/top half of league two club. Whether that's players coming downwards or upwards, old or young. I don't think we'll be going for someone who Macclesfield are very carefully running the rule over, 4 (FOUR) divisions below us. I also don't anticipate we'll be signing anyone who everyone imagined would be going to a top half Championship club.

I don't think that's particularly controversial, is it?

RE Zanzala, he's scored 3 goals (at a lower level to us) since leaving us and is out with a long term injury. No. Come on. It would be a failure to get him in for a league two relegation battle.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm fascinated that that the tectonic activity of GC football has led to a previously dormant edwin exploding into such life

Good for exeweb, fo'sure

RE: forwards... well we won't sign anyone until Jan so that ship has well and truly sailed. I would rather not have GC use the kitty.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm fascinated that that the tectonic activity of GC football has led to a previously dormant edwin exploding into such life
Been happily enjoying the football, Max, largely content with how things have been going and with nothing really to comment, until very recently. It's like smoking though, it's hard to dip in, in moderation.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Been happily enjoying the football, Max, largely content with how things have been going and with nothing really to comment, until very recently. It's like smoking though, it's hard to dip in, in moderation.
Indeed, the notifications being added a few years ago was a game changer

Hants is the peddler and I'm the addict