• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another thing we ought to be looking to do in January is negotiating a severance deal with James Scott.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another thing we ought to be looking to do in January is negotiating a severance deal with James Scott.
Either way we would have to pay up Scott's contract, so may as well keep him as a player until the end of the season, but unless, like Caldwell we see dramatic change, he should be gone.

Maybe we could persuade Torquay to take him on loan for six months.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Either way we would have to pay up Scott's contract, so may as well keep him as a player until the end of the season, but unless, like Caldwell we see dramatic change, he should be gone.

Maybe we could persuade Torquay to take him on loan for six months.
Yes, but you could keep him for the length of his contract and pay 100%, or you could shake hands and wave goodbye, give him a model of a spitfire, for an agreed percentage of the remainder. The benefit to us is that it's less than 100%, the benefit to him is he no longer has to come to work in Exeter and he gets the money up front. He can either sign for another club, move to Scotland, go hiking in the Pyrenees and have a good old think about things, etc... If he's told he won't play, there'll probably a percentage less than 100% he'd accept for no longer having to come in.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We could even try to insert a clause in his contract that if the club he signs for plays against us, he HAS to play.

Grecianman135

We could even try to insert a clause in his contract that if the club he signs for plays against us, he HAS to play.
Knowing our luck he'd turn into prime Ronaldo playing against us.. 😂👍

tom_ecfc

Knowing our luck he'd turn into prime Ronaldo playing against us.. 😂👍
1702290737933.jpeg

Grecianman135

I'd still take a fat Ronaldo over Scott and Muskwe 😂

(Great pic btw) 😂

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, but you could keep him for the length of his contract and pay 100%, or you could shake hands and wave goodbye, give him a model of a spitfire, for an agreed percentage of the remainder. The benefit to us is that it's less than 100%, the benefit to him is he no longer has to come to work in Exeter and he gets the money up front. He can either sign for another club, move to Scotland, go hiking in the Pyrenees and have a good old think about things, etc... If he's told he won't play, there'll probably a percentage less than 100% he'd accept for no longer having to come in.
Scott would have to agree to that though if he where to take less than his contract. He would be mad to do that imho and I cannot see him doing that. Scott in essence has six months to save his football league / professional career.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Scott would have to agree to that though if he where to take less than his contract. He would be mad to do that imho and I cannot see him doing that. Scott in essence has six months to save his football league / professional career.
Why would he be mad? If he took 75% of his remaining salary and he no longer has to come in. He can either retire if he can't get another club, or he could get a deal at, e.g. a conference club on half the salary... which would still see him up, financially. In order to get 100% of his salary, he has to live in Exeter and continue coming into work.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would he be mad? If he took 75% of his remaining salary and he no longer has to come in. He can either retire if he can't get another club, or he could get a deal at, e.g. a conference club on half the salary... which would still see him up, financially. In order to get 100% of his salary, he has to live in Exeter and continue coming into work.
Maybe. I mean It is certainly not without worth asking the question and don't disagree with the principle of asking the question to free up a little money for an alternative, but I don't think Scott would take it tbh, I think he would be thinking I need to stay and try to prove myself to at least give himself a shot at a better club / deal after us.