• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure about Stockton but would take Marriott over a young prem loan any day.
Fleetwood have some much better players than their league position suggests as we know there’s a lot going on at that club at the moment….Marriott is a good finisher which is what I think we need more than anything. @edwin_price

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It should've been Yanic here's your contract if not signed by this date the club and your pea rollers will go their separate ways.
pea rollers 😀 haven’t heard that one in a while….

scuff banger is an expression used out my way.

CREDYGRECIAN

The striker - forward line situation is becoming a serious concern we’re nearly half way through the window now and still no striker when in reality we probably need 2 maybe 3 strikers/forwards if Yanic doesn’t re-sign…

The club have really put themselves in such a difficult position this season their decision to not replace Nombe was a huge one & now with clubs in the bottom 6-8 seemingly signing the players we’re rumoured to fancy it’s a real kick in the teeth….especially with an unprecedented budget available….and with such a big thing made by Hawker & Caldwell about the window being able to save us.

hopefully this week a striker will be signed before Cambridge which is a big big game given the fixtures we have following that game are not the easiest by any stretch

Mid Devon Grecian

The striker - forward line situation is becoming a serious concern we’re nearly half way through the window now and still no striker when in reality we probably need 2 maybe 3 strikers/forwards if Yanic doesn’t re-sign…

The club have really put themselves in such a difficult position this season their decision to not replace Nombe was a huge one & now with clubs in the bottom 6-8 seemingly signing the players we’re rumoured to fancy it’s a real kick in the teeth….especially with an unprecedented budget available….and with such a big thing made by Hawker & Caldwell about the window being able to save us.

hopefully this week a striker will be signed before Cambridge which is a big big game given the fixtures we have following that game are not the easiest by any stretch
It’s the lack of forward (sic) planning that is criminal IMO. We knew Nombe was not going to sign another contract and he was the only player in the club with the attributes to play that role.

We’re awash with players who can play behind/around that central striker. We should have had at least two understudies to Nombe. One who could compete with him for first team and a development project.

Massive oversight.

Doug3101

Fleetwood have some much better players than their league position suggests as we know there’s a lot going on at that club at the moment….Marriott is a good finisher which is what I think we need more than anything. @edwin_price
It's also who the new manager up there does/doesn't fancy and how he wants to set up.
He's been in the job less than a fortnight so he's probably not made decisions yet.

CREDYGRECIAN

It’s the lack of forward (sic) planning that is criminal IMO. We knew Nombe was not going to sign another contract and he was the only player in the club with the attributes to play that role.

We’re awash with players who can play behind/around that central striker. We should have had at least two understudies to Nombe. One who could compete with him for first team and a development project.

Massive oversight.
I agree entirely.

Going into pretty much a full season without a recognised centre forward or striker following the Nombe departure is one of the worse decisions the club have taken in years.

I know it’s not as black & white as this but a decision like that does make you wonder or question if the club really care what division there in because why any football team wouldn’t want a striker is simply bizarre and for me shows a real lack of ambition to move forwards or push on.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cole Stockton and Jack Marriott are available
Marriot rumoured to be on £5k a week which seems very plausable given they took him from Peterborough mid contract. Whilst we can pay a fee we cant pay those kind of wages. Also this red herring of the biggest january pot available for us is smoke and mirrors imo. i have no doubt we have pushed the boat out and have a bigger budget available. However, it's context innit. We are probably going from having e.g. 700k available for fees and wages to increasing that to say 1.2M. For us that's a huge increase but in the context of other clubs it's still a long way off. That's why I believe we will still be shopping in Scotland and places we can afford. We are being bombed out of the water for the likes of taylor and young. The two we have recruited thus far are excellent additions but strikers wont be household names when they arrive so be prepared for a loud rendition of WHO?

Last edited:

JGrecian23

Marriot rumoured to be on £5k a week which seems very plausable given they took him from Peterborough mid contract. Whilst we can pay a fee we cant pay those kind of wages
Offer him nearer what we can afford (who knows what that is) and a decent goal bonus. Scores the goals he gets the dosh and we don't go down.

He can only say no. Not sure if I were Fleetwood I'd be letting anyone join a rival for the drop.

wiveygrecian

I agree entirely.

Going into pretty much a full season without a recognised centre forward or striker following the Nombe departure is one of the worse decisions the club have taken in years.

I know it’s not as black & white as this but a decision like that does make you wonder or question if the club really care what division there in because why any football team wouldn’t want a striker is simply bizarre and for me shows a real lack of ambition to move forwards or push on.
Yes quite right . You look at all the other teams in our league and they have loads of options up front to start a match and coming off the bench. Yesterday Bristol Rovers had Marquis and Collins as subs !! Most teams are the same . We need two in for sure in the next two weeks

wiveygrecian

Marriot rumoured to be on £5k a week which seems very plausable given they took him from Peterborough mid contract. Whilst we can pay a fee we cant pay those kind of wages
Why not though mate ? If he keeps us up it’s money well spent imo.