• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Graham Cummins - Number 31

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
The transfer's gone through then, and we finally have a man for our Number 31 shirt; Graham Cummins.

For this season - and quite possibly this season only - we've accepted the club's request to use our 1931 Fund money to boost the budget available for the more experienced striker that City need. We've pledged £20,000, which amounts to around half GC's wages for the 2014/15 season.

In previous years, the 1931 Fund has financed the total cost (or at least the majority of the cost) of a younger, cheaper player, but having seen Elliott Chamberlain fail to get anywhere near the first team thanks to the quality of our own youngsters, it seemed prudent to accept City's 'matched-funding' proposal for a more costly, key player that they couldn't have afforded without us.

While I don't think any Cummins success story would be quite as sweet as our original aim of wholly funding 'an extra player in City's squad' I am clear that had it not been for the 1931 Fund's members, City wouldn't have been able to bring Graham to SJP. So while we're not covering all his costs, he's definitely Our Man - indeed "Our Graham" as Cilla would have it - and I for one am really looking forward to seeing plenty of pitch-time, and please please please loads of goals, from the man in the Number 31.

One final request. Please do give Graham as much support as you can and try to find a little patience if it doesn't click from the off. He won promotion from League Two last season, albeit without bagging a Kellow style goal haul, so he must have something about him. I know a few of you said he looked somewhat rusty (or worse) against Torquay, but perhaps that's forgiveable after a difficult close season for him. We'll know better in a month or two just how good a player we've got for all our monthly £19s.

We hope to build up a relationship with Graham over his coming season in the Number 31 shirt, and we'll use Exeweb as part of that, so hopefully it won't be just us 1931 Fund members who see him as Our Man in the City side.

Up the City and Geddon Graham

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hopefully Exeweb readers will help in raising some cash for the 1931 fund. Also, Exeweb.com should also be donating some stuff that will help the fund raise additional funds.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks to Al and all his fellow 1931ers for making this happen – I think it's fair to say you're due a good 'un, let's hope Graham is that man!

Who knows what a winning goal in today's Devon Derby might do for your fundraising!

ecfc70

well done the 1931s, will be good to see where the money is going for a change instead of a not so often bench warmer

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fantastic work. Agreed that it will be good to see the 1931 money being put in to some direct results.
Looks like a good signing on paper.

Rog H K

Good on ya all !(y)

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had plenty of chances but sadly no end result, however overall encouraging

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
I picked this from the Gargoyle v City matchday thread, which I thought I'd copy here. Not too bad a start by the sound of it, if ever anything associated with a comprehensive defeat at Plymouth can be 'not too bad'...

Grecian Harris said:

Cummins will prove a useful foil for Tom Nicholls and allow him to get on with the better parts of his game like running the channels and getting into goalscoring opportunties instead of having to constantly battle centre halves. Cummins himself isn't too shabby about running the channels either but is also capable of looking after himself and giving the centre halves a hard time.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
[video=youtube;Mctq9Hlo58M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mctq9Hlo58M[/video]

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
[video=youtube;EvpzUp93jEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvpzUp93jEA&feature=youtu.be&a[/video]