• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harley is a Premiership Player

Garethecfc

It will be difficult for Ryan next year but I can't imagine a better opportunity for him to play Prem football than with Swansea.

Rodgers has clearly prioritised ball retention, which requires a back-line and central midfield that are all comfortable on the ball; possessing the patience to wait for the right opening. Despite what Rodgers subtly suggested yesterday, they're not quite Barca standard yet but the philosophy is similar. If Harley is ever going to find a suitable role in the Prem it will have to be one in the Leon Britton/Joe Allen mould that we saw yesterday; one that requires composure and technique over aggression and physique.

If ever he was going to have a chance in the Prem, this is it - and as long as he feels an important part of the squad I don't see why he can't make the step up. Fingers crossed he'll make a name for himself and give plenty of public thanks to Tis & co, which might in turn encourage others down to the real SJP.
Are you Tisdale? . .

Red the Paper

Banned
I'm sure followers of D*ck Pym would argue with that - three clean sheets in Cup Finals.
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BOLTONpym.htm

Indeed

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
To think his other career almost cost him his move to Bolton...

Grant C

His Wikipedia entry says that he's likely to go on loan - Leeds or Saints the 2 most probable locations. There's no evidence to back this claim up, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Harley

bsmaff

This is wikipedia though.

I could change all that and say he is not considered first team for Swansea so is being loaned to Barcelona to improve his skills.

Grant C

This is wikipedia though.

I could change all that and say he is not considered first team for Swansea so is being loaned to Barcelona to improve his skills.
Fair point - but being loaned to Leeds or Saints sounds totally plausible. If it said Man Utd, AC Milan or Barcelona then that would smell fishy. I initially posted as wondered if anyone knew about this potential loan or if it was nonsense, that's all.

bsmaff

Probably nonsense living in Southampton and working with people who support them they think there midfield is really strong with Chaplow and Lallana that they think Harley wouldn't be good enough for them.

I don't think he will be loaned out as he is at a good age and surely Swansea might of thought they could be playing Premiership football next season and thought he was capable otherwise I don't believe they would have signed him.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think he will be loaned out as he is at a good age and surely Swansea might of thought they could be playing Premiership football next season and thought he was capable otherwise I don't believe they would have signed him.
Quite - it's not like they "did a Blackpool" and snuck in from nowhere - in January they were well in the hunt for promotion and, had Rodgers signed him thinking he wouldn't want him were they to gain promotion, that would have been a very foolhardy decision.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Correction.........our greatest ever goalkeeper, George Hunter, won a Scottish Cup Winners medal with Celtic in 1951.
My cat could have kept goal for Celtic in their Mickey Mouse Cup Final against whatever pub team made it that year.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
My cat could have kept goal for Celtic in their Mickey Mouse Cup Final against whatever pub team made it that year.
Great 'keeper was Hunter. I seem to recall me ol' dad telling me that when Reg Mathews was the current England 'keeper playing for Coventry, then in the same league as City, that Hunter came above him in the stats.