• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Yes, hence my comment about blocking pathways.
That can’t be the case surely, if their on professional contracts they should train with their peers.

If that’s true thats really disappointing for a club that supposedly prides itself on bringing through young players.

It would maybe explain why we didn’t name the full allocation of subs or have that 41 year old on the bench though if players don’t have the clubs trust or are deemed not good enough.

Seems odd to offer the pro contracts and still treat them differently.

**if true**

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
That can’t be the case surely, if their on professional contracts they should train with their peers.

If that’s true thats really disappointing for a club that supposedly prides itself on bringing through young players.

It would maybe explain why we didn’t name the full allocation of subs or have that 41 year old on the bench though if players don’t have the clubs trust or are deemed not good enough.

Seems odd to offer the pro contracts and still treat them differently.

**if true**
Must be true. Bloke on Exeweb said.

STURTZ

Yes, hence my comment about blocking pathways.
So when Caldwell states that Charlie Cummings has been training every day with the first team he is lying then?

Grecian Max

I don't think they there is a big stretch between how the academy players have been coached and how Caldwell wants to play anyway. They have looked to play out for years going back to Tisdale's time as manager and concentrate on technical ability anyway. If anything, they had to adapt more to Matt's way of playing.
Not what I saw of the Randell/Key age group, they didn’t play like Caldwell does

Grecian Max

Rather than a ‘ceiling’, see the aim more as gaining a foothold in League 1. The club has mentioned more than once the ambition to achieve the highest sustainable position possible.

Lot of talk about Klopp and the LFC Academy, where his ‘heavy metal’ style has been taught from a young age for the past 9 years allowing for a seamless transition to the first team. One benefit to sticking with a ‘style’ should you believe strongly enough in it. Also takes time to develop.
Honestly, this belief that Caldwell is developing a style for the ages is well off and we will be bringing up these sort of posts and laughing at them in 18 months time

I have no idea where this confidence in his approach for the long term has come from, it’s not patience it’s hope at best

grecIAN Harris

Not what I saw of the Randell/Key age group, they didn’t play like Caldwell does
What we would have seen in a League 2 match with far pragmatism attached to it and what happens in youth games where the kids are trying to practice what they're taught are two different things. I suspect you, like I, have barely seen a City youth game. Rosie's that fanatical that he does regularly so he's telling you what he's seen not what he is presuming.

StudentGrecian

Honestly, this belief that Caldwell is developing a style for the ages is well off and we will be bringing up these sort of posts and laughing at them in 18 months time

I have no idea where this confidence in his approach for the long term has come from, it’s not patience it’s hope at best
It's genuine madness. His Wigan side had an embarrassment of riches, and whilst that takes nothing away from his achievement, it will never relate to the standard of player we are able to sign.

He has had years of failure and seemingly keeps pushing the same style and tactics week in week out. He is manager of Exeter City, so even if you think he has some high level style that is too good for the current crop, he will never have those levels of players here so why is he not changing his fecking style to suit what we have.

Exehausted

It's genuine madness. His Wigan side had an embarrassment of riches, and whilst that takes nothing away from his achievement, it will never relate to the standard of player we are able to sign.

He has had years of failure and seemingly keeps pushing the same style and tactics week in week out. He is manager of Exeter City, so even if you think he has some high level style that is too good for the current crop, he will never have those levels of players here so why is he not changing his fecking style to suit what we have.
I've said it before, a good coach uses tactics to match his players abilities, not the other way around.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've said it before, a good coach uses tactics to match his players abilities, not the other way around.
Maybe it's not one or the other.

Banksy

You left out the word luck Max.