• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hartlepool United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bit of a roller coaster season, ride it, things will work out, sure of it and if it doesn't who cares there's always next season. We're City fans we've had a lot worse and still come back for more.

DB9

How many proven goalscorers have we ever signed? Stockley had only really scored prolifically at City for half a season (ditto Dazza albeit for longer and he had a major injury which hampered his career). Both times Curo signed he had come off the back of barren seasons. Devine was crocked. Nards was crocked. Morano on his last legs. Jepson didn't have a great goalscoring record when we signed him. Gary Alexander and Lee Bradbury were kids on loan. Neville was in veteran territory. Logan was a journeyman who had drifted to non league. Mackie a kid with zero experience.

O'Flynn probably had the best sustained record and was not crocked prior to signing. Would you take him over any of the above though based on City performances?
Most of the ones you mentioned knew where the goal was, At the moment our front line don't, Just because the ones you said had injury problems when they played they scored

IndoMike

How many proven goalscorers have we ever signed? Stockley had only really scored prolifically at City for half a season (ditto Dazza albeit for longer and he had a major injury which hampered his career). Both times Curo signed he had come off the back of barren seasons. Devine was crocked. Nards was crocked. Morano on his last legs. Jepson didn't have a great goalscoring record when we signed him. Gary Alexander and Lee Bradbury were kids on loan. Neville was in veteran territory. Logan was a journeyman who had drifted to non league. Mackie a kid with zero experience.

O'Flynn probably had the best sustained record and was not crocked prior to signing. Would you take him over any of the above though based on City performances?
There's so much negativity on here and Exeweb in general and I'm not sure why?

Yes we lost to a team one division below us and we didn't play particularly well. $hit happens, especially when you support a league 2 side. I keep reading about how we don't score goals and how we're going nowhere until we find more consistency. Can I just remind people that we're 2nd in the league approaching Xmas. I can't speak for others but I'd have certainly taken this position at this stage of the season if offered back in August, and Im pretty sure the club would have as well.

It's not like Hartlepool are part time minnows. The truth of it is they're only marginally below us in the football pecking order.

Reality check required for some I think. We're doing well.....oh and we're not going to be signing a proven goalscorer in January because we've spent our budget and proven goalscorers of the right age don't sign for Exeter City!
It's normal that people are disappointed. Football is an emotional sport and like I say, for City and many other clubs, it's a roller coaster.
People dream of a Cup run, dream of drawing a top club home or away, and realise the importance of the financial aspect.
Of course they're disappointed after going 2 goals up v Hartlepool we couldn't see it through ; what do you expect?
Doesn't mean they won't go to the next game
or stop supporting the team.
You can't and don't want to take the emotion out o the game. It's disappointment, not negativity.

Rosencrantz

Most of the ones you mentioned knew where the goal was, At the moment our front line don't, Just because the ones you said had injury problems when they played they scored
But when they signed, they were either not proven goalscorers or had gone off the boil, were getting on a bit, or had bad injury records. And yet all scored or was going near 20+ goals in a season for us. I think that is what Snoop was implying as well as budget already spent on three players in peak age who have decent (not prolific) records in Bowman and Fisher and someone who has shown he can score in good numbers but has lost his way and had injury problems in Ajose.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster

Yes we lost to a team one division below us and we didn't play particularly well. $hit happens, especially when you support a league 2 side. I keep reading about how we don't score goals and how we're going nowhere until we find more consistency. Can I just remind people that we're 2nd in the league approaching Xmas. I can't speak for others but I'd have certainly taken this position at this stage of the season if offered back in August, and Im pretty sure the club would have as well.

It's not like Hartlepool are part time minnows. The truth of it is they're only marginally below us in the football pecking order.

Reality check required for some I think. We're doing well.....oh and we're not going to be signing a proven goalscorer in January because we've spent our budget and proven goalscorers of the right age don't sign for Exeter City!
At last some sensible words
(y)

Legohead

Banned
Sensible words yes but play players that are most likely to score goals and give yourself the best chance possible.

Red Monster

I knew as soon as I left the park on Saturday Matt would make
four or five changes last night,
it seems the new fad that players can’t play two games in
the space of a few days.
Just thought if we had kept the same lineup we could have
control the game and then started taking players off.
A win last night and a game at Oxford would have
given us 80k+ in the coffers.

Anyway let’s put right at Salford

DB9

I knew as soon as I left the park on Saturday Matt would make
four or five changes last night,
it seems the new fad that players can’t play two games in
the space of a few days.
Just thought if we had kept the same lineup we could have
control the game and then started taking players off.
A win last night and a game at Oxford would have
given us 80k+ in the coffers.

Anyway let’s put right at Salford
With regards to that do we in L2 get more money the higher up the league we finish like the EPL or is it a set amount what ever?

IndoMike

With regards to that do we in L2 get more money the higher up the league we finish like the EPL or is it a set amount what ever?
"Each League Two club will receive £472,000 as a ‘basic award’ plus a £430,000 ‘solidarity payment’ from the Premier League"
Position not relevant...

Reactions: DB9

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

Unless Ollie goes off for £20m+ in January. Maybe Ampadu as well? Then we're sorted