• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hello Dion Rankine

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would you get excited when you know what's coming (most of the time)?
Because he actually runs at someone rather than pass it backwards or sideways, something MIGHT happen...

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why would you get excited when you know what's coming (most of the time)?
For me, he makes defenders nervous.

Nervous defenders can be capitalised on.

Mid Devon Grecian

For me, he makes defenders nervous.

Nervous defenders can be capitalised on.
He does but needs to be braver, take them on rather than stopping and looking for the sideways or backwards pass.

He may suffer from our lack of forward options though. Not much point in crossing if there’s no one to get on the end of it.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
He does but needs to be braver, take them on rather than stopping and looking for the sideways or backwards pass.

He may suffer from our lack of forward options though. Not much point in crossing if there’s no one to get on the end of it.
Amazing how fans see things differently.

I was just saying how I like that fact he tends to take his man on!

He's bound to pass it back to Sweeney from time to time, don't want to be too predictable but much more often than not he looks to take on the full back and cut the ball back/across to their centre half.

arthur

He's bound to pass it back to Sweeney from time to time,
Max will tell you he is only obeying orders :LOL:

Steve Moran3

Max will tell you he is only obeying orders :LOL:
Passing sideways or backwards - AKA retaining possession when there is no forward option available!

Mid Devon Grecian

Amazing how fans see things differently.

I was just saying how I like that fact he tends to take his man on!

He's bound to pass it back to Sweeney from time to time, don't want to be too predictable but much more often than not he looks to take on the full back and cut the ball back/across to their centre half.
In our recent upturn in form he seems to be benched most of the time. I definitely think he’s a player that benefits from a team that’s confident and flowing.

During our bad run he was quite often getting to the last third and then laying it off or back.

When he’s come on recently for say the last 20mins and we’re still in the game I agree he does take on his man and tries to deliver a ball into the box.

Inconsistency of youth I guess.

Rosencrantz

In our recent upturn in form he seems to be benched most of the time. I definitely think he’s a player that benefits from a team that’s confident and flowing.

During our bad run he was quite often getting to the last third and then laying it off or back.

When he’s come on recently for say the last 20mins and we’re still in the game I agree he does take on his man and tries to deliver a ball into the box.

Inconsistency of youth I guess.
During our bad run, Dion was mostly out injured with a torn hamstring. He limped off in our win at Burton and made it back, understandably with a lack of initial confidence his hamstring, to be on the bench for the ill fated Bolton away game. A handful of games later, when both Dion and Ilmari were back up to speed, and Sonny back from Yeovil, our bad run ended.

I'm not saying he doesn't cut back rather than take on the defender at times, but it mostly wasn't during our bad run 😉.

Mid Devon Grecian

During our bad run, Dion was mostly out injured with a torn hamstring. He limped off in our win at Burton and made it back, understandably with a lack of initial confidence his hamstring, to be on the bench for the ill fated Bolton away game. A handful of games later, when both Dion and Ilmari were back up to speed, and Sonny back from Yeovil, our bad run ended.

I'm not saying he doesn't cut back rather than take on the defender at times, but it mostly wasn't during our bad run 😉.
Happy to be corrected on that😁

I get the feeling he’s less direct than Ilmari, Yanic & Vinnie. Perhaps worried about losing the ball.

If Chelsea released him I would like to think we could be in with a shout of getting his signature. There’s potential there for sure.

Rosencrantz

Happy to be corrected on that😁

I get the feeling he’s less direct than Ilmari, Yanic & Vinnie. Perhaps worried about losing the ball.

If Chelsea released him I would like to think we could be in with a shout of getting his signature. There’s potential there for sure.
One of the four was brought up in a PL academy where ball retention is high in priority. It's down to decision making which comes with experience. John Barnes rap in World in Motion is as relevant as it ever was 🙂