• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Home Attendances and Atmosphere

Bridgy 81

I went over to Halifax not long ago for a look around when I was up that way for one of our matches at Bradford.
I left Mrs Bridgy hanging around The Piece Hall or doing something else in the town and set off to find The Shay as I’d never been there before.
It’s very close to the town centre and as is often the case with older grounds in my experience (i.e. ones which have gaps between their stands) you can often get inside fairly easily on non-match days.
Once successfully achieved I had a wander around.
I got the impression that the entire ground was set quite low down and it seemed very enclosed whereas I‘ve always had the feeling that SJP sits fairly high up, so maybe more susceptible to being influenced by the weather?
Who knows though - I’m always surprised that WBA’s ground is apparently the highest in the country.
I’ve been there too and could still breathe ok!

Mid Devon Grecian

I went over to Halifax not long ago for a look around when I was up that way for one of our matches at Bradford.
I left Mrs Bridgy hanging around The Piece Hall or doing something else in the town and set off to find The Shay as I’d never been there before.
It’s very close to the town centre and as is often the case with older grounds in my experience (i.e. ones which have gaps between their stands) you can often get inside fairly easily on non-match days.
Once successfully achieved I had a wander around.
I got the impression that the entire ground was set quite low down and it seemed very enclosed whereas I‘ve always had the feeling that SJP sits fairly high up, so maybe more susceptible to being influenced by the weather?
Who knows though - I’m always surprised that WBA’s ground is apparently the highest in the country.
I’ve been there too and could still breathe ok!
Trespassing Bridgy? 😉

Bridgy 81

Trespassing Bridgy? 😉
I suppose it probably is technically.
But the worst that’s ever happened to me so far is being challenged by a member of ground staff or someone similar.
If you try to look important and walk around purposefully people generally seem to presume you’re there on business.
Or, probably my preferred approach, look a bit dim and harmless and people tend to ignore you 🙂

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can you put a price on a dryer/louder 12th man! Thanks for all above answers, have often been surprised at how little the big bank noise carries to other stands and considered open sides a factor.
The bloody wind blowing a hoolie right in your face when you're stood in the Bank, like it was v Charlton, doesn't help.

Perhaps you could make a bit of noise in one of those other stands? The wind would carry it over to the Bank perfectly 😉

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I suppose it probably is technically.
But the worst that’s ever happened to me so far is being challenged by a member of ground staff or someone similar.
If you try to look important and walk around purposefully people generally seem to presume you’re there on business.
Or, probably my preferred approach, look a bit dim and harmless and people tend to ignore you 🙂
Every one on the premises is deemed to be part of the Halifax building society.