• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Project 6000 and sustainability in L1 compatible with selling our "Gems"?

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just concentrate on putting a winning successful team onto the pitch and the fans will come and support it...it really is that simple.
So true but it seems others are making it far more complicated, Sustainability in L1 with hoping 6k fans either through 6k fans or the equivalent in money terms is difficult unless the product on the pitch is good enough. Also my original posting that selling the gems makes it even more difficult especially if those gems only play a few games for us before either their heads are turned or the club gets offers they can't refuse.

i8cornwall

I think there may have been misjudged publicity (once again) regarding the 6K project. My understanding of the initiative is that the new Chief Commercial Officer is tasked with generating income that would be equivalent to a 6k home crowd, not that 6k fans from City and our opposition are required for each home game.

However, the central theme of postings is correct. This only has a chance of success, if the first team does very well on the pitch.
I don't think you're far off CJ but I was told or my understanding was anyway that the new commercial opportunities and match day experience is designed to encourage people through the gate along with increases revenue and commercial opportunities that come with it.

What ever the plan is it's clear that we all agree that till the team on the pitch is challenging for promotion, people are confident that they will actually go up or has achieved it then we won't be getting 6k fans in on a regular basis, that is where my concern lies and that opens up a whole new load of conversation.

Going back to the original question though Selling the young lads so quickly won't get us promoted, won't get 6k fans in and with the case of Randell was a PR disaster for the club and can't imagine that feeling is going to change if we lose any of the other this summer.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So true but it seems others are making it far more complicated, Sustainability in L1 with hoping 6k fans either through 6k fans or the equivalent in money terms is difficult unless the product on the pitch is good enough. Also my original posting that selling the gems makes it even more difficult especially if those gems only play a few games for us before either their heads are turned or the club gets offers they can't refuse.
The Slime seemed determined to keep Jephcote and he has signed a new 2-year contract. Recruited at the age of 14, he has attracted the attention of many higher clubs with his goals and performances. He scored a pretty decent late winner last night that sent the 10k fans home happy and secured the 3 points. If that was us he would have been pulling on a Hull/Swansea/Brentford/Chelsea shirt yesterday.

Banksy

The Slime seemed determined to keep Jephcote and he has signed a new 2-year contract. Recruited at the age of 14, he has attracted the attention of many higher clubs with his goals and performances. He scored a pretty decent late winner last night that sent the 10k fans home happy and secured the 3 points. If that was us he would have been pulling on a Hull/Swansea/Brentford/Chelsea shirt yesterday.

Yes , that’s the rub , he’d be another Randall or Key disappearing after a few games , our problem in a nutshell.We’re just an academy factory churning out the players and very little of the cash ultimately being used to improve the playing side. Talk it to death , but that’s how we survive apparently so can’t see those 6000 plus gates very soon.I can see us losing to Barrow now sadly and if we do and perform badly against Rovers it will hit the fan.Taylor has to get a grip quickly before we sink into that lethargic rut we were in after Christmas.I despair of him making those vital signings now though after all that’s transpired.

ExmouthMart

The Club Mission statement is sustainability and to give a nice match day experience. It seems they are trying to tap into the rugby/cricket type supporters who just go along for a nice day out, regardless of the result. The club will always have a hardcore support of @3000 but to increase that the team has to be successful on the pitch and that means being in a position to compete or better the wages offered by other teams in League Two. Do you honestly think Nombe and Brown have joined for the challenge or to improve their game working with our Management team?! No we gave them what they and their agents wanted.

Red Devon

Exactly to achieve it in “money terms” and still not have the team to match would show some underachieving going on somewhere...not only that but the commercial knock ons of a successful team would create more income on top....but we’re probably going to have to invest a lot more in the playing side to get there first 🙁

Antony Moxey

And how big their crowds - and thus income - compared to ours? I suspect that even then if someone starts wafting seven digit cheques under their chairman’s nose their talented youngsters will be going the same way as ours.

Or perhaps we should have held on to Grimes, Watkins, Ampadu, Randall, Nicholls, Storey, Stockley, Wheeler and anyone else we made decent money from, I’m sure we’d be the Championship by now. Or playing in the D&E Premier as the reformed AFC Exeter after our inevitable bankruptcy.

i8cornwall

And how big their crowds - and thus income - compared to ours? I suspect that even then if someone starts wafting seven digit cheques under their chairman’s nose their talented youngsters will be going the same way as ours.

Or perhaps we should have held on to Grimes, Watkins, Ampadu, Randall, Nicholls, Storey, Stockley, Wheeler and anyone else we made decent money from, I’m sure we’d be the Championship by now. Or playing in the D&E Premier as the reformed AFC Exeter after our inevitable bankruptcy.
I'm not even sure why I'm bothering replying as always you'll think your right regardless but anyway:

Argyle are millions in debt so can't imagine there turn over is going to be that great, especially with them having to pay back the money for that new grandstand, granted the commercial opportunities it brings them probably helps and who is to say they haven't had 7 digit figures waved Infront of there nose for him?

The difference is they expect if not demand success on the pitch down there regardless if it's achievable or not, where as we have sections of our support who make comments like "we could be D&E league champions by now" which actually don't add anything to the argument or progress the club or situation do they?

Oh and actually AFC Exeter would probably join and start at the South West Peninsula premier east Division at step 6 of the non league system not the D & E league similar to Macclesfield and hereford.

Antony Moxey

I'm not even sure why I'm bothering replying as always you'll think your right regardless but anyway:
I’m not sure why you did either, but there you go, everyone gets to have a say these days.

Boyo

The Club Mission statement is sustainability and to give a nice match day experience. It seems they are trying to tap into the rugby/cricket type supporters who just go along for a nice day out, regardless of the result. The club will always have a hardcore support of @3000 but to increase that the team has to be successful on the pitch and that means being in a position to compete or better the wages offered by other teams in League Two. Do you honestly think Nombe and Brown have joined for the challenge or to improve their game working with our Management team?! No we gave them what they and their agents wanted.
The mission statement is “sustainable success” I believe. The context behind Project 6k is recognition that the club doesn’t generate sufficient revenue to survive long term in L1 based on current income streams.

Clearly we have generated additional income over the past 10 years through player sales. That money has been spent on capital infrastructure; improving the stadium, the pitch, supporter experience and the training ground, in addition to pumping up the playing budget to enable us to compete in and around the playoffs rather than the bottom half of L2.

We could have spent all that money on players, which may have resulted in promotion, but sooner or later that money will run out and we’d have been left with a falling down grandstand and shocking away end, rubbish pitch, poor training facilities and a lower average crowd with less income.

Project 6k merely sets the challenge of increasing revenue in a sustainable manner to achieve success on the pitch.