• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think Caldwell's plan is to have speed down both flanks, hence his initial appreciation of Jake Caprice which seems to have cooled a little now. Can't see Sparkes getting back in as long as we are playing this system.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't it quite common for players to be given a taste of first team football at a young before going out to learn the basics of playing weekly first team football on loan. Happened with Ollie Watkins and is happening now with Sonny Cox.
And of course Jay Stansfield

Number13

He's done with us and I suspect he knows that. They'll be L2 suitors or even Conf might suit if they're one of the bigger clubs

Question is, does he believe he can be a Pro for the next 10 years and if so, go to Hartlepool or Rochdale and tear it up on a two year deal

Or, go to Torquay and play part time

With our budget we need to be realistic and cant have two players for every position. For the wing backs we have Caprice, Key (he'll stay and sign a new deal by the way) and Mitchell who can, to greater or lesser extents play either side

grecIAN Harris

He's done with us and I suspect he knows that. They'll be L2 suitors or even Conf might suit if they're one of the bigger clubs

Question is, does he believe he can be a Pro for the next 10 years and if so, go to Hartlepool or Rochdale and tear it up on a two year deal

Or, go to Torquay and play part time

With our budget we need to be realistic and cant have two players for every position. For the wing backs we have Caprice, Key (he'll stay and sign a new deal by the way) and Mitchell who can, to greater or lesser extents play either side
I thought you said Conference not Conference South and the following year Southern League because that's what will happen if he goes to Torquay.

andrew p long

I'm not sure we can say at this moment in time that Mitchell is a better player. Faster, for sure, but can he cross the ball as well as Jack?

Mitchell has shown some great bits of speed and skill, beating a man and getting into the box but he's also gone missing for large spells of the game, particularly in the second half, whereas Jack seems to see a lot more of the ball than Mitchell as the game enters the final phases.

For me neither are the complete player with both offering differing attributes and there's a place for both of them in the squad next season.
From where I was sat on Saturday Mitchell's cross for Key's goal was absolutely first rate.

Grecian Max

Does anyone have conclusive proof that Caldwell has written Jack off? He's been in the squad for pretty well every game and there is a simple explanation for him not being in the first team - Mitchell is a better player.

I agree we should try to keep him. His defensive frailties have been suspected for some time and now proved at this level beyond all reasonable doubt. But there could be a role for him further forward, particularly left MF is where we've often stuck our best players as there's no-one else to fill the role. And he's relatively cheap..
Nothing conclusive I just think he doesn’t have the pace to get up and down the wing like GC wants. I really like Sparkes but similar to Matt Jay I can’t really see where he fits now.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure we can say at this moment in time that Mitchell is a better player. Faster, for sure, but can he cross the ball as well as Jack?

Mitchell has shown some great bits of speed and skill, beating a man and getting into the box but he's also gone missing for large spells of the game, particularly in the second half, whereas Jack seems to see a lot more of the ball than Mitchell as the game enters the final phases.

For me neither are the complete player with both offering differing attributes and there's a place for both of them in the squad next season.
numerous crosses thus far. How about the one Nomber headed over v Lincoln as an example

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing conclusive I just think he doesn’t have the pace to get up and down the wing like GC wants. I really like Sparkes but similar to Matt Jay I can’t really see where he fits now.
Given his injury record in the past, Demetri is unlikely to play every minute of every game for the rest of the season so when he gets an opportunity it will be up to Jack to show he's good enough to deserve a new contract.

scottus86

I like Sparkes, he doesn't have lots of pace but his crossing and finishing is the best out of all our wing backs, he also has the nack of winning free kicks and penalties.

Memphis09

I actually disagree that Jack has had a poor season, This season going forward he has shown how good he can be, but his defensive frailties will obviously be more obvious at league one level. I really rate Mitchell, but i think Defensively he is not much better than Jack (Albeit a little better) and going forward I rate them about the same, but Mitchel does have more pace. But Jack has won a number of penalties this season and his crossing is very good, especially compared to the RWB's in our side.

I personally would seek to retain both for next season as I think they are both good enough for this level and both can give each other proper competition for the LWB berth. But I do think Jack will go in the summer, since the Charlton rant, Caldwell does seem to have outed him from the side. Caldwell was right in a sense to punish that outburst, but I would still keep both here next season.
I agree good backup