• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jake Richards

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the clubs’ website academy sponsors page (https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/teams/academy/academy-sponsors/)
he is named in the under 16’s group. Two years ago he was named in the under 14’s group. I don’t know if he was with the club before that.
If I read that list right it relates to the season just finished - listed as U18s are Harry Lee, Sonny Cox, Pedro and all the the new professionals like Beardsmore, King,James, Billington,O'Connor. If that is right then Richards becomes an U17 for the coming season, which would mean his 16th birthday is coming up very soon.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I read that list right it relates to the season just finished - listed as U18s are Harry Lee, Sonny Cox, Pedro and all the the new professionals like Beardsmore, King,James, Billington,O'Connor. If that is right then Richards becomes an U17 for the coming season, which would mean his 16th birthday is coming up very soon.
I think that is why he is referred to as a 15 year old ;)

So no contract signing yet

manc grecian

How long has he been at that club does anybody know ?
15yrs

andrew p long

Well, 16 years old now (!) . And with a League One start to his name. And talking of his name, the pretence that we could ever keep his real name quiet has well and truly been blown.

I wonder where he stands in terms of youngest ever player to start a league match for City? Ben Chrisene holds the record as youngest ever player, but that was for 5 token sub appearances that amounted to about 20 minutes in total. Ethan Ampadu is ahead because he started league games in August 2016 when still 15.

Richards date of birth is given in Grecian archive as 8 August 2007, making him 16 years one month and one day for his first league start. Third youngest league starter ever for City? Grecian Archive says Cliff Bastin made his league debut 'within a month of his 16th birthday'.

(I remember seeing 16 year old Nicky Marker make his City debut at Burnley in (what is now) League One in 1981, but he would have been older than Jake is now by a month or two)

DawlishBouy

Well, 16 years old now (!) . And with a League One start to his name. And talking of his name, the pretence that we could ever keep his real name quiet has well and truly been blown.

I wonder where he stands in terms of youngest ever player to start a league match for City? Ben Chrisene holds the record as youngest ever player, but that was for 5 token sub appearances that amounted to about 20 minutes in total. Ethan Ampadu is ahead because he started league games in August 2016 when still 15.

Richards date of birth is given in Grecian archive as 8 August 2007, making him 16 years one month and one day for his first league start. Third youngest league starter ever for City? Grecian Archive says Cliff Bastin made his league debut 'within a month of his 16th birthday'.

(I remember seeing 16 year old Nicky Marker make his City debut at Burnley in (what is now) League One in 1981, but he would have been older than Jake is now by a month or two)
Ampadu was 15 years 330 days. Jake Richards and Cliff Bastin both 16 years 31 days. I would be wonderful if Jake matches Boy Bastin's career.

andrew p long

Ampadu was 15 years 330 days. Jake Richards and Cliff Bastin both 16 years 31 days. I would be wonderful if Jake matches Boy Bastin's career.
Wow! That's one hell of a coincidence (and hopefully lucky charm) to have made his starting debut at the same age -to the day - as Cliff Bastin.

andrew p long

anybody else a tad disappointed that he doesn't appear to have got an (age group) international call up this time round? He looks comfortable enough in League One cameos at just turned 16. And, of course, if England don't come calling is he eligible for any other country's youth team?

PS where was he yesterday? Not in the 18 at Fleetwood, nor in the U18 team.

Rosencrantz

anybody else a tad disappointed that he doesn't appear to have got an (age group) international call up this time round? He looks comfortable enough in League One cameos at just turned 16. And, of course, if England don't come calling is he eligible for any other country's youth team?

England u17's are currently at the World Cup in Indonesia. That squad would have been set for a while. Hard for Jake to muscle in on that one.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

Long way off that benchmark when he isn't as yet even a starter for us. Most of the England age groups are from the big club Academies. He will only get noticed if he becomes a regular starter imo

denzel

Yep, default/ lazy option is to look at the Premier League academies and choose from there.
Probably for the best he isn't getting chosen, he'll get injured!