• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

i8cornwall

That looks a pretty good deal on the surface, and similar to the Bond the Exeter Chiefs offered several years ago.

From Bolton's perspective its a mechanism to raise chunks of money, that presumably they cannot get from more traditional routes due to their poor credit history. They'll obviously have to pay it all back at a high interest rate.

It's high risk, because if Bolton go pop, then you'll lose your cash. If they haven't got the cash to repay it in 5 years, who knows what happens.

Seek financial advice before investing!!!
Oh I'm not investing, to tight with my money for that!

lamrobhero

I remember very well another bond scheme being met with mass protest - and being present the day the fans of said club invaded the pitch and staged a sit-in around the centre circle after planting a corner flag on the centre spot.

A story linking a more recent pitch invasion to the incident in question:

West Ham pitch invasion led to unjust aggression, but the corner flag stood for something greater | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

At least Bolton aren't stipulating that you have to buy a bond if you want a ST.
I was at Upton Park on that day too. At the time I wondered how it was going to end. But having made their point the fans decided to return to the stands and let the game continue. To their credit the authorities let it run its course. Heavy handed intervention would have been disastrous. I remember it as being fairly civilised.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I was at Upton Park on that day too. At the time I wondered how it was going to end. But having made their point the fans decided to return to the stands and let the game continue. To their credit the authorities let it run its course. Heavy handed intervention would have been disastrous. I remember it as being fairly civilised.
Yeah - it was all handled very well when all's said and done.

We did wonder what time we'd get home to West London after the disruption - the Tube was completely up the creek due to security alerts following a recent IRA bombing, and we only just made it into the away end about five minutes into the match after taking about 3 hours to get there - naturally as we were paying at the turnstile the away end erupted as Everton scored the first goal in the 2-0 win (the protest coming as Everton scored their decisive second). I think we were home about 7:30.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is interesting:
Seems promotion to the Championship cost Argyle just over £4m and they'll have a budget of £11-12m next season.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is interesting:
Seems promotion to the Championship cost Argyle just over £4m and they'll have a budget of £11-12m next season.
What was our paying budget this year? Ball park?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
What was our paying budget this year? Ball park?
A lot less than that – I had a figure of circa £2m in my head.

tonykellowfan

I heard £2.5m, which if you have 24 first team pros is about £100k per player, which sounds about right.

Boyo

I heard £2.5m, which if you have 24 first team pros is about £100k per player, which sounds about right.
£2.1m sticks in my mind, but I expect that increased during the January window.

DawlishBouy

Monkey dons retained list:

DawlishBouy

Shrewsbury's retained list:

Status
Not open for further replies.