• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Because wages are a determining factor to where a player will go and City are one of those clubs who are, shall we say, nearer the bottom end of the pecking order in terms of wage structure. If A Player becomes available from B Club who have a strong wage structure, A Player is more than likely going to want to keeps his wages close to what he was getting at B Club and is therefore very likely to be beyond City's budget. It really isn't that difficult to figure out.
But to me that's with anything in life, Not many people would join a company knowing they'd be paid less. I would imagine its known we're not the best payers but what we will do is give a player a chance to reignite their career if its either stalled, Had an injury etc. This doesn't mean we're a soft touch, They have to put the work in.

fred binneys head

We’re also an enjoyable club to play for, Devon is a wonderful county and the fans are passionately supportive and won’t post dogshit through your letterbox if you have a bad game.

But we don’t pay much, we’re miles away from family if you have young children and there’s nothing to do in Exeter other than chew straw, so it’s a difficult decision.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For those that like their odd stats!

grecIAN Harris

But to me that's with anything in life, Not many people would join a company knowing they'd be paid less. I would imagine its known we're not the best payers but what we will do is give a player a chance to reignite their career if its either stalled, Had an injury etc. This doesn't mean we're a soft touch, They have to put the work in.
Yes that is generally the case but as fans a lot think getting players in is like playing Football Manager and it is then that their wiser/cynical/experienced counterparts start telling them that their wages are beyond their club. Sometimes,and I would think Will Aimson might be a good example, you might think a player is on a wedge we can't afford because he is at a bigger club, Bolton in Will's case, but here he is playing for us now because maybe his wages weren't as big as we, as fans, may have thought. Maybe some players are shrewd enough to understand London weighting which could mean taking a lesser wage in Devon still means theirs life is affordable. Like it or not, wages are a massive influence on whether we get a player or not and determine whether X player is affordable or not.

DB9

Yes that is generally the case but as fans a lot think getting players in is like playing Football Manager and it is then that their wiser/cynical/experienced counterparts start telling them that their wages are beyond their club. Sometimes,and I would think Will Aimson might be a good example, you might think a player is on a wedge we can't afford because he is at a bigger club, Bolton in Will's case, but here he is playing for us now because maybe his wages weren't as big as we, as fans, may have thought. Maybe some players are shrewd enough to understand London weighting which could mean taking a lesser wage in Devon still means theirs life is affordable. Like it or not, wages are a massive influence on whether we get a player or not and determine whether X player is affordable or not.
Yep, Wages are the most important thing, For all of us, Footballers have a short career so they go where they'll get the best deal for them and their families and no one can argue against that, We as a club have run things pretty well and I'd imagine don't promise things we can't deliver but I do think we say to any potential signing, We might not be the best player but you've been sitting on a bench or not getting in the squad (For what ever reason) if you sign for us and put the hard work in and we can potentially reignite your career. But my original point about the numerous posts about wages we can or can't afford is imo pointless, To me it's the same as the "Moneybags clubs" a pointless argument out of our control, Is it fair? I dunno but all clubs are private businesses and do what they think is best for them, If they have owners that spaff money so what? It didn't help those in L2 when we got promoted and they didn't. My view is the club knows their limits and I trust them not to be "Seduced" by a potential signing or their agent and put us in the financial do do.

grecIAN Harris

Yep, Wages are the most important thing, For all of us, Footballers have a short career so they go where they'll get the best deal for them and their families and no one can argue against that, We as a club have run things pretty well and I'd imagine don't promise things we can't deliver but I do think we say to any potential signing, We might not be the best player but you've been sitting on a bench or not getting in the squad (For what ever reason) if you sign for us and put the hard work in and we can potentially reignite your career. But my original point about the numerous posts about wages we can or can't afford is imo pointless, To me it's the same as the "Moneybags clubs" a pointless argument out of our control, Is it fair? I dunno but all clubs are private businesses and do what they think is best for them, If they have owners that spaff money so what? It didn't help those in L2 when we got promoted and they didn't. My view is the club knows their limits and I trust them not to be "Seduced" by a potential signing or their agent and put us in the financial do do.
Again you're talking about the club and, of course, the club will work to what it can and can't do irrespective but fans minds don't work like that initially especially at this time of year when the market is swashing with released players. They see a player and go from there. I'll give you an example, Macauley Bonne has been released by Charlton. I was really impressed with him when he came down here, big, strong, fairly quick, lead the line well and worked hard and when I saw his name I thought he'd be a great replacement/alternative for Sam Nombe. Because he is on a free, you bypass transfer fees with regards affordability and go straight onto wages as to whether he could be a realistic target in your own mind irrespective of what the clubs idea might be about him. To my mind, he's probably beyond on us because he's playing for a decent sized London club so, even if you allow for him being shrewd and understanding London weighting, so he's not a realistic prospect because of his cost.
If you get past cost, you go onto geography, many have said about Cole Stockton but his history suggests he needs a passport to go south of Chester and you move through the different variables in your mind as to a potential target until you get answer that could be realistic but every player you think of is going to start with his wages.

Last edited:

DB9

Again you're talking about the club and, of course, the club will work to what it can and can't do irrespective but fans minds don't work like that initially especially at this time of year when the market is swashing with released players. They see a player and go from there. I'll give you an example, Macauley Bonne has been released by Charlton. I was really impressed with him when he came down here, big, strong, fairly quick, lead the line well and worked hard and when I saw his name I thought he'd be a great replacement/alternative for Sam Nombe. Because he is on a free, you bypass transfer fees with regards affordability and go straight onto wages as to whether he could be a realistic target in your own mind irrespective of what the clubs idea might be about him. To my mind, he's probably beyond on us because he's playing for a decent sized London club so, even if you allow for him being shrewd and understanding London weighting, so he's not a realistic prospect because of his cost.
Understand all that and agree, I just think the constant talk of what they'll expect in wages (Or think what they'll expect) on here is pointless.

grecIAN Harris

Understand all that and agree, I just think the constant talk of what they'll expect in wages (Or think what they'll expect) on here is pointless.
I don't think it is, it's the parameter for what might be a potential target and what is just simply fantasy football. To go back to my example, Macauley Bonne comes under fantasy football as far as my expectation is concerned.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
9 weeks to the new season start 🙂

DB9

9 weeks to the new season start 🙂
Someone's getting excited! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.