• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lincoln City v Exeter City Matchday Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great to see a Yanic piledriver captured.
Really frustrating that. First few minutes of the second half, beats three men and with Cox and others waiting on the six yard line, wafts the ball in the general direction of the keeper. Summed up the afternoon...

grecIAN Harris

The tactics would work if the players were brave enough to move the ball around quick enough. It's all about exploiting space and angles to move the ball through the lines. The biggest problem we have at the moment is is that all that falls flat before the ball even gets to the midfield because our centre half is technically inept. Chieck is brilliant at doing what he needs to do, ie defend properly, but is pretty poor at what the manager wants him to do after he's done his primary job, ie. get the ball and move it quickly into midfield so that the likes of Carroll and Cole are playing on the turn so they can play forward instead of receiving the ball with their backs to goal and an opponent up their arse ( hence why the ball goes back again). I know this will go down like a fart in a lift but give me a confident Will Aimson any day over Chieck in that respect.

manc grecian

The tactics would work if the players were brave enough to move the ball around quick enough. It's all about exploiting space and angles to move the ball through the lines. The biggest problem we have at the moment is is that all that falls flat before the ball even gets to the midfield because our centre half is technically inept. Chieck is brilliant at doing what he needs to do, ie defend properly, but is pretty poor at what the manager wants him to do after he's done his primary job, ie. get the ball and move it quickly into midfield so that the likes of Carroll and Cole are playing on the turn so they can play forward instead of receiving the ball with their backs to goal and an opponent up their arse ( hence why the ball goes back again). I know this will go down like a fart in a lift but give me a confident Will Aimson any day over Chieck in that respect.
Yep, I remember that great run we went on when Aimson started. The football was fast, free flowing and the goals were flying in from all angles.

Mid Devon Grecian

Aitchison has to do better. Hit it straight at the keeper.

The goal we conceded. Terrible. Diabate and Jules both going for the same ball and then Sweeney giving it away.

Great to see a Yanic piledriver captured.
Comedy of errors for the goal. Why was Jules on top of Diabate?

The ball Sweenz had to deal with was awkward but playing it back into the middle was high risk. Then Jules was still not covering the left and their No9 did what a good striker should and exploited the space. Game over.

grecIAN Harris

Yep, I remember that great run we went on when Aimson started. The football was fast, free flowing and the goals were flying in from all angles.
It started out alright at the beginning of the season. And then Sam left............. More to the point we've got a better chance of playing with a centre half who has a modicum of technical ability than one who hasn't.

C j phill

Then surely you would change your approach to best suit the players you actually have available in the side. GC wants us to play Like Ipswich last season but without anywhere near the quality to pull it off. Tactically GC is inept, we don't change anything ever and he has yet to turn a losing situation into a winning situation this season through inspired subs or tactical change. The best signs of a good manager imho is one whom adapts to availability to get the best from their players. GC doesn't do this, we hardly see the best of our players. I still don't think our players are as bad as we have seen, but this tactical set up, approach and game plan just doesn't suit our players at all. Glad GC has accepted he was wrong yesterday, it's a starting point, but now we must see changes to make us more effective on the pitch. I just pray we aren't about to slump again, as it'll see us relegated if we do. We must beat Fleetwood next week. A failure to do so will be completely unacceptable and should lead to serious questions around this position. Again GC still has a huge amount to do to prove to the fanbase he was the right choice. Let's just pray we beat Fleetwood to at least settle things down again
The point is that we know GC will not change his approach. His interviews from pre ECFC days indicate that he takes his mantra from Martinez, namely determine your preferred playing style and stick with it, until it works.

From his recent interviews and Fans Forum presentation, it's clear that he sees our progression as medium / long term, at least over the next 2 / 3 seasons, incrementally building the squad until he has the players who can deliver his preferred model of play and the Club Board's decision not to dismiss during our horrendous run appears to bear out support for this strategy.

So FBH is correct in that this summer's recruitment will presumably include players who are more suited to his style of play and may incorporate people who can pass forward with some speed.

crocks

I'd like to see them pass to a teammate. That would be a start!

david61

7 points clear of relegation, just 12 games to go, we've played more than most teams.
Feb 1 more game, March 6 games, April 5 games.
Hold our nerve and should be ok, but could be tight.

Mid Devon Grecian

The point is that we know GC will not change his approach. His interviews from pre ECFC days indicate that he takes his mantra from Martinez, namely determine your preferred playing style and stick with it, until it works.

From his recent interviews and Fans Forum presentation, it's clear that he sees our progression as medium / long term, at least over the next 2 / 3 seasons, incrementally building the squad until he has the players who can deliver his preferred model of play and the Club Board's decision not to dismiss during our horrendous run appears to bear out support for this strategy.

So FBH is correct in that this summer's recruitment will presumably include players who are more suited to his style of play and may incorporate people who can pass forward with some speed.
I imagine Woods is earmarked for that and if he can prove his fitness we’d try and sign him on a permanent deal.

As Harris has said, question marks over Chieck as he doesn’t have the distribution quality of Aimson.

Grecian Max

And from what I can tell, we played some good stuff at Wigan who would be on the cusp of the play offs if it wasn’t for the points deduction.
I’ve noticed that people like to make out that the oppo is often better than they actually are

If “cusp of playoffs” is 8 points off them, then I guess you’re right 😅