• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Loan Letdowns

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Going back a while but I remember City getting Steve Phillips on loan who had a pretty good scoring record (and had scored a few against us) coming in on loan and flopping.
He was only on loan for a month from Torquay after a fall out at Plainmoor. His best days were well behind him.

Oldsmobile-88

I think he scored one goal for us away at Scarborough
He did...The wettest I’ve ever been at a football ground & that includes St Albans.

tom_ecfc

Not the worst, but never made a 1st team appearance for us was James Wood on loan during the 2010/11 season. He was a young keeper from Man City. He had a bad car crash on his return to Manchester where he quoted as saying he nearly lost his life! He left Man City and played for Neath, Aberystwyth & FC Libourne (France).

Wood is now at Cardiff City as academy keeper coach. He did have a stint as 1st team keeper coach during the 2022/23 season.

(I have updated his Grecian Archive profile)

Ex-ciderrr

I remember Gavin Holligan briefly on loan from West Ham of whom he played in the intertoto cup for played 3 games for us, quit football & became a soul artist a couple of years later:ROFLMAO:

tom_ecfc

I remember Gavin Holligan briefly on loan from West Ham of whom he played in the intertoto cup for played 3 games for us, quit football & became a soul artist a couple of years later:ROFLMAO:
What a very smart chap!

Ex-ciderrr

What a very smart chap!
I mean fair play! (y)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The first three names on this list take some beating; at least in those days loans could only last for a month. View attachment 13733
One or two unlikely names on here Jamie C, Pat Baldwin Jake Taylor and Matt Oakley.

The latter was a real class act but we never saw the best of him as when arrived he was already carrying an injury.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jaden Brown was signed on loan from Huddersfield in Jan 2019 by MT and then didn't play a minute for us. Ended up going back to Huddersfield before the season finished.
There's also Robbie Cundy who was recalled after less than a month and never played a first team game for us.

angelic upstart

David Mehew from Bristol Rovers in the 90s.

Red Devon

30FE6890-D6B8-4160-A851-3A52B0A9829C.jpeg
He did...The wettest I’ve ever been at a football ground & that includes St Albans.
This day :)