• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Oakley

Bittners a Legend

How many days a week does he train in Exeter?

How much ground does he cover in 90 minutes and how far below the average is this compared with others who play CB in League Two?

He seems to play the game at literal walking pace.

He is not a central defender and has neither the mobility nor probably the fitness to play centre midfield.

Why has he not retired if he doesn't want to train full time?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Curious that in the WMN report this morning Reuben Reid describes Oakley as "the lad."

denzil

Curious that in the WMN report this morning Reuben Reid describes Oakley as "the lad."
Probably does having scored 3 against him on Saturday

GrecianWonder

Interesting article on the BBC about him talking of his plans for the future. Wants to keep playing next season but less games, go into coaching with Tisdale and go to university.

'Matt Oakley: Veteran wants Exeter City coaching role after retiring'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32546380

LOG

I might try this approach with my employer and see how i get on. I think i'll have Monday off though.

GrecianWonder

I might try this approach with my employer and see how i get on. I think i'll have Monday off though.
Don't be so dense. You know full well that working flat out 7 days a week, 365 days a year would not be best for performance. As football is performance based and not duty based, it is naive to criticise Oakley or Tis or any player who retired from playing international football before club football for this thinking.

Last edited:

LOG

Don't be so dense. You know full well that working flat out 7 days a week, 365 days a year would not be best for performance. As football is performance based and not duty based, it is naive to criticise Oakley or Tis or any player who retired from playing international football before club football for this thinking.
No need to be rude, Crispy, you’ll hurt me feelings. You might need to work with me though as I’m struggling to follow your argument.

Does he or any other professional footballer in the world play and/or train 7 days a week, 365 days a year and, more importantly, where has anyone said that they expect him to?

What has retiring from international football got to do with anything only I must have missed Matt “four caps at U21 level according to wikipedia” Oakley doing this for our benefit?

In that article he's saying that he’d like to carry on playing and is then ruling himself out of every mid-week game and that's the point i was making because I really don't see him as being that important. I read that article as him saying he'd like to carry on playing but only when it suits then, when he decides he's ready, he'd like to do some coaching. Oh, and at some point he's going to go to university as well.

Fine, just don't expect to be the one calling the shots and don't expect us to pay for it all.

Grecian_Jay

Oakley is Tisdale's bff. He can do as he wishes.

He hasn't trained 'fulltime' (yes Crispy that is fulltime for a footballer rather than the normal fulltime) since he has been here.

manc grecian

:):)

Just read the article. Train one day a week and only play on a Saturday. Sadly I've no doubt this will be allowed to happen.

I hope he lets people know the days he is available for coaching so we can fit it round his schedule.

Another season of carrying a midfielder with less mobility than my mum! No thanks.