• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Easy in hindsight. If he'd stayed and struggled to rebuild a side with so many players out of contract he risked becoming old news and losing the chance to manage in the Championship.
This. You have to move when your standing is high. People remember promotions and championships, they don't remember mid table finishes

budegrecian

I think the point is that they think they are a big club.
They would have been targeting the play offs this season
Agee; almost certainly would have been targeting the play offs as apparently they had a top six budget. So they have done poorly this season whereas we have clearly exceeded expectations.

Bat Fastard

That stat is currently escaping large swathes of their fanbase it has to be said! 😁
KMT was used on here as an exemplar of how a manager can play attractive football, his current charges are now 10 hours of football without a goal! Go figure! 🤷‍♂️
Indeed, I believe some on their forum refer to kmt as “tisdale 2” ….10 hours without a goal is remarkable though and I doubt they are as patient as taggy and co unfortunately

andrew p long

He's been there for 5 months.
As we know from our own season - sometimes managers need longer.
5 months would be ridiculously early to judge MT at Rovers.

I reckon its 3 years before you can confidently determine how good a manager is at your club and to judge his decisions in the long term eg is Harper better than Sparkes, Jules than Hartridge, Sinisalo (and next year's keeper ) than Blackman etc. Can he sign goalscorers like Wheeler, Stockley and Nombe? Can he develop players to be the new Key Collins and Randall? So still far too early to assess whether GC is going to be a successful manager for City even after 18 months, as judged by the wild swings in the 'Caldwell in/out' poll.

Having said that even 3 years wasn't long enough to get an accurate assessment of Alex Ferguson 'Tara Fergie' banners in his fourth year at Man Utd...

STURTZ

Indeed, I believe some on their forum refer to kmt as “tisdale 2” ….10 hours without a goal is remarkable though and I doubt they are as patient as taggy and co unfortunately
Believe Rovers greatest manager they got from us (in living memory) was Gerry Francis. Legend with them, disaster with us!

Abilities don't always translate to.new environments.

Antony Moxey

That is hardly hard though. Our goals have come in real streaks this season. Around 59% of our goals have come in August, September, March and April.
So around about half our goals in around about half a season.

Grecian Max

At least the Rovers faithful have the solace of watching KMT’s signature brand of wonderful football to watch……..🤣🤣🤣🤣
Why do you dislike MT so much?

Got to be one of the more successful name/manager at the club

Bit weird if you ask me

Grecian Max

That stat is currently escaping large swathes of their fanbase it has to be said! 😁
KMT was used on here as an exemplar of how a manager can play attractive football, his current charges are now 10 hours of football without a goal! Go figure! 🤷‍♂️
For us, MT produced much more interesting football for my tastes

You disrespect a great manager for us because… I don’t even know any more

Why do you dislike MT so much?

Got to be one of the more successful name/manager at the club

Bit weird if you ask me
It is weird. Just wait until GC gets us near the play offs next season, and then gets a job and leaves us for a lower half championship side. 😂

Bridgy 81

I get no great pleasure in seeing Matt Taylor currently going through a tough time with his Bristol Rovers team (other than the obvious that it’s always good when one of our opponents struggle).
He did a great job for us both on and off the pitch and deserves to be remembered for that in my opinion.
And I want him to do well - provided we do better.
I’m not bothered about picking the bones out of his and GC’s contrasting ideas on how to set a team up to play.
They’re the Manager, so it’s their decision and they will ultimately stand or fall by it.