• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would have thought it was obvious! What Tavy is saying is that the manager was the responsible for our poor run of form (opinion of some) while the manager is not responsible for Rovers poor run.

Looks logical to me
But I never said this?

They are two different jobs, Caldwell walked into stability and upward mobility and Taylor is fire fighting

Ultimately MT isn’t doing well, and he’s responsible but the reason we are here in L1 and with big crowds is primarily thanks to Taylor

Caldwell is beginning to write his own story which is great, but I don’t get this urge to slag off a manager who did a great job for us (as a player too)

I enjoyed Tisdale being crap at Rovers because of his poor attitude and that fans were constantly saying “careful what you wish for”

With Taylor it’s different for me in that he delivered, was and has been respectful and I would welcome him back in the future

Tavy loving him struggling therefore seems like an odd one

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
They are two different jobs, Caldwell walked into stability and upward mobility and Taylor is fire fighting.
Broadly agree with most of what you've written. However, I'm not sure the situation SMT inherited at Bristol Rovers is a whole lot different from the one GC inherited here.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Broadly agree with most of what you've written. However, I'm not sure the situation SMT inherited at Bristol Rovers is a whole lot different from the one GC inherited here.
GC took over from a performing manager who went on to bigger things.

MT took over from a sacked, basket case manager who has been underperforming with a very expectant and unforgiving fanbase.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC took over from a performing manager who went on to bigger things.

MT took over from a sacked, basket case manager who has been underperforming with a very expectant and unforgiving fanbase.
If that's the case then surely the easier task was to transform the fortunes of the underperforming team [as opposed to the one which was already meeting expectations]?!

Spoonz Red E

The big difference for me:
Gary Caldwell joined in October 22, had time to appraise and seek recruits for the winter transfer window and then also had the Summer transfer window to do the same.
Matt joined Rovers last December with just 4 weeks to the window .. and that's his only opportunity to reshape and develop so far.

STURTZ

Play on your own children, daddies just going for a lie down...

older-codger

Interesting take on MT as manager of Rotherham here

tavyred

I agree.
I’m not sure KMT leaving abruptly with a number of his coaching staff and a not ideal medium/long term situation as regards his playing squad is necessarily a club that is the epitome of stability.
GC had a job on from the start to succeed or least regain that stability, to his credit in the end he’s smashed it.
BTW to those who think I’m revelling in KMT’s current travails, he was your handy bat to hit SGC with when you were comparing and contrasting the two managers, not mine! 🤷‍♂️

Spoonz Red E

Play on your own children, daddies just going for a lie down...
Thanks daddy.
We've put your shoes and socks in the hall and will be playing with our Lego just outside the bedroom door.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Why you little.....