• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Message to Both Boards.......

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I make the case for an alternative. A one board structure headed up by an experienced CEO with the majority of that board filled with trustees.

I am not saying what I am advocating is perfect nor full proof. It is simply an idea.

But, and going back to my original point, I am still of the view that the current structure is not, in its present guise working.
I don't know the current CEO from Adam. However, he boasts vast experience at a very senior level. If he were full-time and we were paying for him, I imagine he'd probably be the club's best-paid employee.

Not saying there aren't issues ATM, merely that they're not necessarily the ones you and others are suggesting.

Edward

If I was clever enough, I could probably find a post from around 10 years ago that said much the same thing.

The Trust Board should be focused on Trust-issues, notably fan engagement and fund raising. It should have nothing directly to do with running the club.

Instead, there should be a slimmed-down club board comprising a CEO, Director of Finance, Director of Operations and Director of Football with two Trust-appointed non-executive directors. Six in total. You might add a Commercial Director but I would probably sit that function beneath Operations.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
If I was clever enough, I could probably find a post from around 10 years ago that said much the same thing.

The Trust Board should be focused on Trust-issues, notably fan engagement and fund raising. It should have nothing directly to do with running the club.

Instead, there should be a slimmed-down club board comprising a CEO, Director of Finance, Director of Operations and Director of Football with two Trust-appointed non-executive directors. Six in total. You might add a Commercial Director but I would probably sit that function beneath Operations.
One hundred percent!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Something like this extract from one from August 2014?

To keep this simple, let’s ignore the Trust Board for the time-being. It is a volunteer body and is far less important that the club board provided it has strong representation on the club board. Anyway, the club board simply needs a charismatic Chairman, capable of engaging with everybody, especially the media, a CEO (and there are plenty with a background in sports, hotels, entertainment, conference venues, tourist attractions who could perform the role), two non-execs (appointed by the Trust) who are paid their usual day rate when engaged on club business and that's it. Done. Four. No more. This board focuses on strategic stuff and delegates the day-to-day business to a Management Team comprising the CEO, one of the non-execs, an Operations Manager, Commercial Manager, Financial Controller, Football Manager and, possibly, an Academy/FITC Manager.

Or this one from December 2013

But does a fourth tier football club really need so many non-exec directors? Leaving aside redevelopment, it really is a pretty simple business to run.

Surely, it just needs one really smart CEO, supported by a commercial guy, and a savvy financial controller, to run the business on a day-to-day basis without too much interference from the enthusiasts and opportunists sitting on the board?

andrew p long

Why do you post as ‘we’? Are you all sat round the same laptop? Or is it the ‘Royal we’?
It purports to be a Podcast with a big title...

Pete Martin (CTID)

Something like this extract from one from August 2014?

To keep this simple, let’s ignore the Trust Board for the time-being. It is a volunteer body and is far less important that the club board provided it has strong representation on the club board. Anyway, the club board simply needs a charismatic Chairman, capable of engaging with everybody, especially the media, a CEO (and there are plenty with a background in sports, hotels, entertainment, conference venues, tourist attractions who could perform the role), two non-execs (appointed by the Trust) who are paid their usual day rate when engaged on club business and that's it. Done. Four. No more. This board focuses on strategic stuff and delegates the day-to-day business to a Management Team comprising the CEO, one of the non-execs, an Operations Manager, Commercial Manager, Financial Controller, Football Manager and, possibly, an Academy/FITC Manager.

Or this one from December 2013

But does a fourth tier football club really need so many non-exec directors? Leaving aside redevelopment, it really is a pretty simple business to run.

Surely, it just needs one really smart CEO, supported by a commercial guy, and a savvy financial controller, to run the business on a day-to-day basis without too much interference from the enthusiasts and opportunists sitting on the board?
Love the second one (December 2013). So apposite. A tad ironic that it was exactly 10 years ago.

David Treharne

Everyone will have thier own ideas about what next. Jason Stockwood, owner of Grimsby Town had this to say in a recent article, which might add some direction.

Whether you are Manchester United or Grimsby, succession planning is vital | Football | The Guardian

milts

Everyone will have thier own ideas about what next. Jason Stockwood, owner of Grimsby Town had this to say in a recent article, which might add some direction.

Whether you are Manchester United or Grimsby, succession planning is vital | Football | The Guardian
Extremely interesting article, thanks for sharing.
I wonder where we would be now has we appointed Artell when we had the chance?

This became evident during the protracted Tisdale saga. Tagg was far too much in awe of Tisdale who as a result had come to think of himself as bigger than the club. The fact Tisdale's management career is in tatters after being fired from successive clubs suggests otherwise. Tagg should have taken responsibility for this debacle back then and stepped down. At least Perryman only worked for expenses (iirc) and actually had a positive impact on our results whereas Tagg takes a salary and rents properties to us whilst flaunting his wealth with his executive cars.
To be fair to Julian Tagg, he in a non-voting director and has no power in the club boardroom. This was removed by the Trustees and fellow directors sometime ago. this is not widely known in the public arena. People are correct the Directors with voting rights on the club board now have the power. Go the next Trust meeting and also lobby they for change and transparency. Not sure why he was removed of voting powers, or why he continues to be the voice of the fans owned club. For those that talk about 'i' not 'we' at QOTPOD, count them number of people that have been presenters and hosted the show. Also we have a number of researchers supporting the show. (Not all UK based). We have a show tonight being recorded at 19:30hrs feel free to message us to come on the show. It is family friendly by design, so please no industrial language. UTC

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Extremely interesting article, thanks for sharing.
I wonder where we would be now has we appointed Artell when we had the chance?
Indeed, though that can be read as an argument for not sacking Caldwell unless the Club have a ready-made replacement and / or clearly laid plans for the interim. No evidence of that, though perhaps this is ongoing behind the scenes.

However, I'm as worried, if not more so, about what happens away from the team. When JT had an eye operation a few years ago, I remember me and another ex-Trustee asking him about succession planning and also who would stand in if he was out of action for an extended period. IIRC he evaded the question and said it was all very difficult. Since then we have seen very little evidence of such a strategy. Ditto with the Trust, do they even have a deputy Chair?