• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

More changes to the FA Cup

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Should Exeter City boycott the FA Cup ? Accrington Stanley are seriously considering it..

Accrington’s Andy Holt tweeted that it was important to fight the change “with all our might” and said: “I would support a boycott if enough clubs feel the same

As a fan-owned club we should be leading this sort of thing - yes we should boycott if this remains in place and encourage others to do so

exespur

Nah, I see what you mean but nah, The PL was created smaller orginally that was the whole point. If you make the Premier League smaller still less clubs benefit and relegation and promotion to the PL may be restricted - its the start of a slippery slope my friend
My view is, they'll do whatever they want regardless of the noise. How can we get something out of the situation that benefits us.

Spoonz Red E

The 'too many games' argument is spurious.

It's not as if every game ends in a replay even with replays as an option.
Most top flight clubs won't have any.
Some may have one along the way.
Rarely there might be two.
Very rarely there might be three.

And that's supposed to be the threat to player's health as mentioned by Arteta?

It would be interesting to see the real numbers in terms of actual extra games played per club.

Radio Free Skaro

It's not as if every game ends in a replay even with replays as an option.
Most top flight clubs won't have any.
Some may have one along the way.
Rarely there might be two.
Very rarely there might be three.

And that's supposed to be the threat to player's health as mentioned by Arteta?

It would be interesting to see the real numbers in terms of actual extra games played per club.
Should ECFC boycott the Cup?

Spoonz Red E

Should ECFC boycott the Cup?
I would support that personally.
I think the incremental moves over the last several years have stripped the competition of its core appeal.
Unless a concerted stand is made I can see more damage being done in the future.
I can see future nonsense being posited such as European competition commitments being so huge that top flight clubs are offered further exemptions - not entering the Cup until the 4th round etc.

Last edited:

denzel

This season, top 6* clubs

Only 1 tie went to a replay, Chelsea v Villa

*top 6 is pushing it for Chelsea these days, of course they weren't in Europe anyway.

cannockred

I can see what arteta is saying about fewer games and the health of his players.

There would be fewer opportunities for him and his players to bottle games for starters

JCWhoosh

The 'big 6' have an incredibly large squad of quality players. Use them instead FFS.

Radio Free Skaro

I would support that personally.
I think the incremental moves over the last several years have stripped the competition of its core appeal.
Unless a concerted stand is made I can see more damage being done in the future.
I can see future nonsense being posited such as European competition commitments being so huge that top flight clubs are offered further exemptions - not entering the Cup until the 4th round etc.
Agrees the 72 need to show solidarity, by boycotting the FA Cup Exeter City and others can make a difference.

The Super League proposal was stopped in its tracks when it was clear that there was enough illfeeling towards it, this should be the same.

Even Sunak and Starmer have expressed concerns about scrapping replays FFS

cullbaggie

stop the Prem teams playing in the FA cup,make the Comp for EFL and below only! still will be big sides left from the Championship....give the winners a place in the Europa cup (even if its not a championship side that wins)