• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Never feel cold in the Doble again

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
RW, you talked sense with your redevelopment plans, but this is pretty stupid. A heater on an external stand? :D

If you're cold, wear another jumper and put an extra pair of socks on.
This sums it up perfectly.

Terryhall

Hi,

Energy industry employee here.

Solar economics in the UK are marginal at best and with City's track record of economic management I'd suggest we would be better off putting our money in a mattress.

Deep geothermal is all about temperature/depth gradient. Cornwall has some semi-viable ratios, nothing world class but you could definitely run some solid district heating systems there if you could handle the up front capex. I've actually looked at setting up a company myself in conjunction with a global SME to have a crack at this, after a brief study we determined the risk was too high (having to schmooze local councils is a horrible business to be in,) and we identified several other areas in europe which would be far better options. Having said that you would still only do it if there was a solid government grant on offer and generally greater investor appetite in the market.
This is the reason why the existing companies in the cornwall deep geothermal market have not done anything yet. No money, no backing, high costs, no demand. I'd be more inclined to plow cash into a shale project at present than DG and I'd rather buy generic FTSE 100 stock than play in the solar game.

Kind regards,

UK technical advisor.
Top post, thanks for the insights! (clap)

angelic upstart

my main solar panel installation has paid £1650 in generation and export tariffs in the last nine months as well as providing free electricity and much reduced gas bills.
How do solar panels reduce your gas bills?

The idea , was laudable isn't necessary. That said I think ECFC should "look into" something when the opportunity arises.m

Edward

Also in a related sector.

Sadly, this is a bonkers idea. It simply won't work on a dark winter's afternoon/evening when the heat is most required. And whilst the Government has been remarkably foolish in the way it has dished out subsidies for all sorts of technologies, including solar PV, even it wouldn't provide any support for this idea.

For those interested in deep geothermal, very slow progress is being made - by coincidence, there was an industry conference in Cornwall today - but most potential operators are struggling to find private investment for such speculative projects. Also, there is quite a disparity between the locations with the best potential for generating either heat or power and the locations which have an appetite for heat or power. The idea that you can send water down one 3km keep borehole and have steam rising from a neighbouring borehole to generate electricity is a tad fanciful as nobody can be certain how fractured the rock may be at such depths. One for those with an appetite for risk. The more likely option for early pioneers is to create heat simply by warming the water at depth but this is a football forum so nobody will be interested.

Rightwing - you have some good ideas but this is not one of them. Sorry.

Grecian2K

If only the mods could find a way to pump some of the hot air generated sometimes here on Exeweb over to SJP it would be guaranteed to keep the precious little blossoms in the Doble as warm as toast for the foreseeable.

Mind you, even if they could, I'm sure we hardier perennials in BB would still be left to freeze our plebeian conjones off.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was quite impressed by RW's redevelopment plans and the work he put in.

However on this one I had to check it wasn't April 1st. Seems like a bonkers idea to me!

contrabombarde

I was quite impressed by RW's redevelopment plans and the work he put in.

However on this one I had to check it wasn't April 1st. Seems like a bonkers idea to me!
The fact that you had to check that it wasn't April 1st in December tells us more about you thanRW I think.:D

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
How do solar panels reduce your gas bills?

The idea , was laudable isn't necessary. That said I think ECFC should "look into" something when the opportunity arises.m
AU,

With my solar panel installation I am deemed to export 50% of my generating capacity to the national grid, and am paid on that basis irrespective of whether I do so or not. Consequently I don't export it. Instead I utilize a Solar I Boost which transfers my unused generating capacity to water heating through my immersion heater. It was previously heated by gas, hence my gas bills are substantially reduced.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also in a related sector.

Sadly, this is a bonkers idea. It simply won't work on a dark winter's afternoon/evening when the heat is most required. And whilst the Government has been remarkably foolish in the way it has dished out subsidies for all sorts of technologies, including solar PV, even it wouldn't provide any support for this idea.

Rightwing - you have some good ideas but this is not one of them. Sorry.
You're all forgetting that the intention (or certainly my intention) would be to make ECFC a 7 day a week business, being supported by varied off field income. This can equally be applied to offices, fully utilized exec boxes etc.

I fully appreciate it won't work on a dark winter's evening, but midweek games are relatively few and far between.

angelic upstart

AU,

With my solar panel installation I am deemed to export 50% of my generating capacity to the national grid, and am paid on that basis irrespective of whether I do so or not. Consequently I don't export it. Instead I utilize a Solar I Boost which transfers my unused generating capacity to water heating through my immersion heater. It was previously heated by gas, hence my gas bills are substantially reduced.
Thanks for the explanation, too dim to work that shizzle out me'sen!