• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Offside Law

LDNGrecian

Seeing that FIFA are pushing for the introduction of 'Wenger's Law', shifting the marker of where someone as offside from if the attacker is ahead then they are offside to if there is a gap between defender and attacker than they are offside.

Thoughts?

I personally see the introduction as having a huge tactical impact on the game with increasing numbers of low blocks rather than high pressing. Feel like it could become like basketball with half court defence and a slow move up to the halfway line where teams will have to build slowly.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seeing that FIFA are pushing for the introduction of 'Wenger's Law', shifting the marker of where someone as offside from if the attacker is ahead then they are offside to if there is a gap between defender and attacker than they are offside.

Thoughts?

I personally see the introduction as having a huge tactical impact on the game with increasing numbers of low blocks rather than high pressing. Feel like it could become like basketball with half court defence and a slow move up to the halfway line where teams will have to build slowly.
Sounds good to me.
With VAR technology they could go for a lesser tolerance if they wish - for example a 'safe zone' of a determined length (e.g 1 foot / 30cm).
But anything that gets rid of the hairs breadth decisions at the moment would be welcome.

LDNGrecian

Sounds good to me.
With VAR technology they could go for a lesser tolerance if they wish - for example a 'safe zone' of a determined length (e.g 1 foot / 30cm).
But anything that gets rid of the hairs breadth decisions at the moment would be welcome.
I just dont see how there won't be a definitive line somewhere that people will feel aggrieved by. The image even produced to demonstrate the change will vex someone fans of the team who is ruled offside because if it was only a toenail closer they would be onside.

1716475755255.png

Spoonz Red E

I just dont see how there won't be a definitive line somewhere that people will feel aggrieved by. The image even produced to demonstrate the change will vex someone fans of the team who is ruled offside because if it was only a toenail closer they would be onside.

View attachment 15543
But that would be to discount the fact that there is already some generous leeway given.
I wouldn't have any sympathy with someone who was vexed by the overstepping of that.

Grecian2K

A bit of an academic discussion for "humble" clubs such as ourselves where thankfully the only VAR likely to be inflicted on us are Very Awful Referees...Mr Huxtable and Mr Rock (to name but two) take a bow.

LDNGrecian

A bit of an academic discussion for "humble" clubs such as ourselves where thankfully the only VAR likely to be inflicted on us are Very Awful Referees...Mr Huxtable and Mr Rock (to name but two) take a bow.
The potential change in offside law will affect us massively without VAR.

Colesman Ballz

Thoughts?

Eh ? "Like Basketball" ? In that sport you have just 8 seconds to progress the ball over the half way line, or concede possession with your opponents receiving the ball to inbound. That leads to presses being employed to try and prevent this

LDNGrecian

Eh ? "Like Basketball" ? In that sport you have just 8 seconds to progress the ball over the half way line, or concede possession with your opponents receiving the ball to inbound. That leads to presses being employed to try and prevent this
Full court presses are used significantly less than half court. You are most likely to see a team take a shot and as soon as it’s released they have already turned to jog up to the other end to set up defensively. That’s what I can imagine happening with this change. Deeper defensive sets, not able to commit as many players forward, boring passing around the box.