• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New premier league squad rules

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone have an opinion?

I understand they are designed to help the england Squad. To me they are A. pointless, since plenty of players ineligible for England count as "homegrown". And B. if they work as they are supposed to they will actually weaken the England Squad.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, I'm there, daft set of rules which will not achieve anything useful, in fact they may hurt by encouraging clubs to get even more foreign kids in.

Sandstorm

^Agreed.

"Homegrown" should have meant home nation players not the length of time spent at the club.

ecfc01

Think its utter sh1it too.

Let teams be teams, If you dont like the players playing for a team dont Support them ! simples ~!

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
^Agreed.

"Homegrown" should have meant home nation players not the length of time spent at the club.
I think that would still weaken the national team, as any rule forcing teams to have English players would do.

older-codger

As a matter of interest, if Cardiff make the premiership, will "homegrown" mean Welsh? How will that help the England squad? It would severely restrict their chances of survival in the Premiership if they couldn't even use English players

Sandstorm

I think that would still weaken the national team, as any rule forcing teams to have English players would do.
Why do you think so?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As a matter of interest, if Cardiff make the premiership, will "homegrown" mean Welsh? How will that help the England squad? It would severely restrict their chances of survival in the Premiership if they couldn't even use English players
Homegrown means they have to have been registered with the English or Welsh FAs. Can't remember whether it is from a certain age or a certain number of years. So Cardiff would be fine.

Why do you think so?
Ok, I'll try and put it into words.

At the moment any English that player that makes it at a top club has to either be extremely talented or work very, very hard. When a player makes it you know they are good enough. If you force clubs to use English players then you are lowering the quality, because English players that aren't good enough at the moment will have to be included to make up the numbers. Just because a player is being picked for a premiership side, it doesn't suddenly mean they are world class. If you are a young player the incentive to work as hard as a foreign player isn't there, because you know when it comes down to it you will get preferential treatment regardless of quality.

In addition the weakening of the club squads means we fall behind European rivals and English clubs would do worse in Europe. Therefore the English players you have essentially handed a chance won't experience playing at the highest level anyway.

The problem I see it is not with the lack of chances English players get, it is the quality of the young English players. They aren't good enough to compete with young foreign players. Right from the youngest level they are behind. That isn't because of English players 10 years older than them not playing in the first-team squad. That is what the FA need to address.

Agreed, this is a completely pointless ruling.

If the FA genuinely want to improve the national side then it will be much harder work than just forcing english players into first teams. IMO the problem with the current set up is the way in which we coach our kids. At youth football the 'best' players are considered to be the ones who are the strongest, tallest, quickest, have the hardest shot etc. These qualities of cause will lead to instant success for the young sides but quite obviously are in no use in the long run as kids develop at different ages and those who stand out will eventually be caught up.

In other nations, young players are encouraged to devlop skills and flair and work on their ball skills. The physical aspects are very much overlooked as they realise that kids will get bigger and bulk at differing stages. This of course is why there are very limited numbers of skillfull players who are english compared to the abundnace that can be found in most national sides.

Sandstorm

At the moment any English that player that makes it at a top club has to either be extremely talented or work very, very hard. When a player makes it you know they are good enough. If you force clubs to use English players then you are lowering the quality, because English players that aren't good enough at the moment will have to be included to make up the numbers. Just because a player is being picked for a premiership side, it doesn't suddenly mean they are world class. If you are a young player the incentive to work as hard as a foreign player isn't there, because you know when it comes down to it you will get preferential treatment regardless of quality.

In addition the weakening of the club squads means we fall behind European rivals and English clubs would do worse in Europe. Therefore the English players you have essentially handed a chance won't experience playing at the highest level anyway.

The problem I see it is not with the lack of chances English players get, it is the quality of the young English players. They aren't good enough to compete with young foreign players. Right from the youngest level they are behind. That isn't because of English players 10 years older than them not playing in the first-team squad. That is what the FA need to address.
I agree with all of this and would say the main issue with English football is the coaching structure, the lack of qualified coaches and too much competitive football for kids.

On the other hand I want premiership teams to coach and promote home-grown talent above foreign ownership. If market forces dictate that it is easier for a child to get coaching in Africa/Eastern Europe/Wherever and then be signed for a nominal fee at the expense of an English player than that affects the national game hugely. You can't restrict trade in terms of signing who you want but making rules on squad composition is the only way to have some say on what premiership teams can and can't do.

It will get to the point they might as well jack in any yoof system altogether and just supplement their squad with cheap foreign additions, knowing full well they're riding the premiership gravy train mid-table mediocrity.