• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Years Eve and Exeter Chiefs

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the love of God, not you as well. This thread has nothing to do with rugby, it's to do with the set up and crowds at Sandy Park compared to what we have. They could be holding tag-team circle jerking up there but the point would still stand if there were 10,000 voyeurs turning up.
Ive stated earlier in this thread that im not jealous of them. If they dropped back into the Championship then watch there crowds fall.

The thread has moved onto a discussion of rugby vs football now. I wouldnt go watch the chiefs but if city wernt at home and i was offered a free ticket i would go. I personally think the SJP Surroundings are ok. Not perfect but doing ok with what we have

Devons Red

Ive been thinking about going to the Chiefs for a while, good ground sucessfull manager / Team and premiership rugby.

Oh and a pint while I watch. this doesnt mean I dont like Exeter it just means i'm not a sad jelous individual whos narrow mind is just football! Simples really

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ive stated earlier in this thread that im not jealous of them. If they dropped back into the Championship then watch there crowds fall.

The thread has moved onto a discussion of rugby vs football now. I wouldnt go watch the chiefs but if city wernt at home and i was offered a free ticket i would go. I personally think the SJP Surroundings are ok. Not perfect but doing ok with what we have
I give up.

Willy Nilly

Ant, I'm sorry to say I disagree, Chiefs were getting more than City when they were in a lower division with more local teams around. The set up is far superior in almost every aspect. I always get there early and leave late due to the fact the match day experience. I honestly struggle to do the same at City. The St James Centre is cramped, dirty and lacks the ambience of the West Stand at Sandy Park.

As you know I have been a lifelong affinity to Exeter City and it pains me to write these words, but credit where it is due the Chiefs are currently head and shoulders above us both on and off the pitch.

The game of rugby itself doesn't give me the same adrenalin rush as football and for that reason Exeter City will always be my preference.
Agreed. I'm not really a rugby fan but I have spent some great afternoons at Sandy Park. A pint whilst watching the game helps, of course! After the game, the bar is always absolutely heaving. They must be raking in the dosh.

As Log says, though, it's about more than just the match day experience. The Chiefs set-up seems to be doing a great job of making revenue outside match days. So many people I know had their Christmas work do there.

It's quite amusing seeing people knocking the atmosphere on here. Have you been to SJP recently? Other than about 30 minutes during 'Siege Mentality' it's like a morgue.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

It's quite amusing seeing people knocking the atmosphere on here. Have you been to SJP recently? Other than about 30 minutes during 'Siege Mentality' it's like a morgue.
Agree with you on the atmosphere at SJP, or rather the lack of it. Feckin' dire, especially in the Flybe. Anyone who makes a bit of supportive noise gets looked at as if they are a social outcast. :(

Red the Paper

Banned
I would rather support Argyle than support any rugby team, Chiefs included.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

What the f*cketty-f*ck is this heap of sycophantic, shameless egg-chasing self promotion doing on The Word on WELL STREET.

If the rugger buggers really want to flog their shoddy wares on here, at least could they please do it on the "Other Sports" forum (although, IMHO, that particular form of muddy homo-eroticism does stretch even the word "sport" to its limit.)

Indeed, my hatred of that particular abuse of a saturday afternoon is such that, for once, I even find myself in agreement with Mr Red here! - and that must surely be an Exeweb first.

Last edited:

Poultice

I even find myself in agreement with Mr Red here! - and that must surely be an Exeweb first.
Well he is a ageing punk rocker with a pony tail, what's your excuse for not being man enough to play a real game ?

geoffwp

I like most sports, and I have to say that this 'hatred' of something as simple as a game is a bit strange. I think I am right in saying that, way back when city started out, many people only gave the club a few years believing it would be a flash in the pan, such was the strength of rugby in the region. It doesn't suprise me that chiefs have gone from strength to strength, but it hasn't stopped us from growing as a club either. I wonder what WE would have done with a 5 mil cash windfall.

Last edited:

Ian Sideman

Tigers were away yesterday, Quins vs Sarries at Twickers, 82,000, thirty quid for two adults with two kids, that's how to get the punters in, the bars, food stalls and merchandise sales were in the hundreds of thousands.
Awesome afternoon. Fantastic atmosphere, great entertainment. Top drawer all-round.