• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County Trust Ownership Ends.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would like to distance myself from that nonesense.

The argument should always be whether the long term interests of the club are best within Trust or private ownership. We do and always will have the option of both.

I still firmly believe the former, based on the over achievement during the Trust years relative to the 99 years of private ownership before.
Simplistic view i know but i think that until i see a club or two that are trust run get into the Championship and sustain it I'd be more convinced a trust can cope with the demands of being that successful. For me success is not "At least we've still got a club" i want more than that, I certainly want a board to question a manager when things aren't right on the pitch.

budegrecian

Newport sign Jephcott from Swindon.
The new owner splashing the cash already or them lining up a replacement to enable Will Evans to come our way?

lamrobhero

it's just that I can't see the motivation for a seriously rich person to 'invest' in our club. Show me the Business Model that would make it work?
Don't know if this is going to make money? or how the football club fits into the overall scheme of things?
... (From March 2022 source Gloucester Live) Forest Green Rovers fans could enjoy watching games at a new 5,000-seater football stadium next to the M5. Plans for the arena and a 100-bed hotel have been submitted by Gloucestershire green energy firm Ecotricity. The new home for the Dale Vince-owned football club, called Eco Park will include indoor and outdoor pitches, a care village including a 70-bed care home as well as the hotel and a ground.
There are also plans for 37,700 sq ft of office space, food and retail areas, car parking for 1,700 cars, and landscaped parkland on the earmarked land at Junction 13 of the M5 west of Stonehouse.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Simplistic view i know but i think that until i see a club or two that are trust run get into the Championship and sustain it I'd be more convinced a trust can cope with the demands of being that successful. For me success is not "At least we've still got a club" i want more than that, I certainly want a board to question a manager when things aren't right on the pitch.
Well how you define success needs to be relative to the size of the club.

Would Man United being sustainable in the championship under a Trust Ownership model constitute success? No, of course not.

Would Barrow being sustainable in League One under a Trust Ownership model constitute success? Yes, definitely.

We're clearly closer to Barrow than Man United. We've never even competed in the championship in our history, so it's an unrealistically high benchmark to use to measure the success or not of our Trust Ownership model.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Newport sign Jephcott from Swindon.
found it old bean :)

tavyred

Well how you define success needs to be relative to the size of the club.

Would Man United being sustainable in the championship under a Trust Ownership model constitute success? No, of course not.

Would Barrow being sustainable in League One under a Trust Ownership model constitute success? Yes, definitely.

We're clearly closer to Barrow than Man United. We've never even competed in the championship in our history, so it's an unrealistically high benchmark to use to measure the success or not of our Trust Ownership model.
On your successful ownership model scale, where do you put our ability to stay in LG1 for lets say a decade?

rifraf

I hope they've inserted a 'buy-back' clause if it doesn't go well. They're now just another club dependent on the whim of a rich investor.

Been there, done that.
No we haven't?!!

denzel

Hartlepool Trust hasn't taken over yet.

Mid Devon Grecian

Don't know if this is going to make money? or how the football club fits into the overall scheme of things?
... (From March 2022 source Gloucester Live) Forest Green Rovers fans could enjoy watching games at a new 5,000-seater football stadium next to the M5. Plans for the arena and a 100-bed hotel have been submitted by Gloucestershire green energy firm Ecotricity. The new home for the Dale Vince-owned football club, called Eco Park will include indoor and outdoor pitches, a care village including a 70-bed care home as well as the hotel and a ground.
There are also plans for 37,700 sq ft of office space, food and retail areas, car parking for 1,700 cars, and landscaped parkland on the earmarked land at Junction 13 of the M5 west of Stonehouse.
I think this would be called an ‘enabling investment’ i.e. Vince’s firm has shed loads of cash and can fund the build of some highly profitable ventures on the site.

The profit element of the overall investment enables a potentially loss making element to be incorporated in the form of the football stadium.

We, with the help of our landlords did this in a small way to enable the new old grandstand through the profits of the student flats behind the big bank.

One of the major restrictors for us is we own no land. Our current ground either needs a complete revamp/re-design or we need a new site to offer a modern competitive experience for expanding the fan base and in turn greater income and stability.

Exeter is a compact smallish City and there are very few, if any, suitable sites. A money bags investor if they were looking for a suitable investment would probably discount us as not viable.

Only thing I can think might change in the future is something like the relocation of the M5 services which has been mooted because of congestion it causes. Maybe there would be a site released there that could incorporate the type of development as described re FGR.

Colesman Ballz

I think this would be called an ‘enabling investment’ i.e. Vince’s firm has shed loads of cash and can fund the build of some highly profitable ventures on the site.

The profit element of the overall investment enables a potentially loss making element to be incorporated in the form of the football stadium.

We, with the help of our landlords did this in a small way to enable the new old grandstand through the profits of the student flats behind the big bank.

One of the major restrictors for us is we own no land. Our current ground either needs a complete revamp/re-design or we need a new site to offer a modern competitive experience for expanding the fan base and in turn greater income and stability.

Exeter is a compact smallish City and there are very few, if any, suitable sites. A money bags investor if they were looking for a suitable investment would probably discount us as not viable.

Only thing I can think might change in the future is something like the relocation of the M5 services which has been mooted because of congestion it causes. Maybe there would be a site released there that could incorporate the type of development as described re FGR.
I thought that Vince has now sold Ecotricity, and that the whole new stadium plan has been mothballed ?