• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

No Confidence in Laurence Overend as Trust Chairman

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
No pressure from exeweb RW.. The elected have called one off their own back. There are a number of them extremely unhappy with it!!

Quite likely we will go into admin?? Who says that?? You don't know the figures and neither do I!!

The loan is in place to cover all costs.. And I reckon that loan will be paid back as the club plan to.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
No pressure from exeweb RW.. The elected have called one off their own back. There are a number of them extremely unhappy with it!!

Quite likely we will go into admin?? Who says that?? You don't know the figures and neither do I!!

The loan is in place to cover all costs.. And I reckon that loan will be paid back as the club plan to.
You're as naïve as anyone Lez, you'll be saying next that the two Trust loans have been repaid.....just as the Club planned!!

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
No you are being naive RW.. Where is it said we could go into admin??

We have taken out a loan to cover the hole over the summer.. You don't know how much the loan is for, you font know what money is yet to come in.

The club has taken precautions to make sure costs are covered. Which means no threat of admin!!

You are again aspiring to poke the fire my friend!!

Should we have in place a better financial plan? Yes we bloody well should!!

Do I believe the trust should be giving money ever month to club ? No I don't!!

The club should be standing on it's own two feet and the trust should of built up capital!!

That is my opinion on the matter!!

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster

Lez...how can you be unsure of the figures involved and yet be confident that whatever it is the club will pay it back? The reality is that the loan WILL be paid back because money won't be forthcoming from the Football League until it is....Of course, this reality will trigger other problems.

Last edited:

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really? So the jumping up and down on here over the past 36-48hrs by many of the posters coupled with emailing the Trust hasn't had any effect on the reaction of the Trust? Tosh, if the support had blindly swallowed it like we've swallowed the rest of the **** issued by Piggy and chums for the past few years nothing would have happened and the Trust board would have stumbled on maintaining the current status quo.

Maybe the uprising is finally upon us.

Last edited:

Edward

Agreed. The incompetents on the Club Board and elsewhere within the organisation must be excised.

As for the Trust Board, there is a strong argument that they should stand down on masse. Those TB Members who feel they have a constructive and useful role to play in future can offer themselves for re-election. In the meanwhile, I would suggest an emergency small TB is established by co-opting two people with real experience of business, two of the existing TB to provide some continuation and a respected past BOS/TB member to act as Chairman.
Al, in my view, there is no need for the BOS to resign en masse and stand for re-election. That process would take too long. Instead, their role needs to be massively re-defined. The entirely acceptable short-term route is for the Trust to dramatically overhaul the club board, appointing two independent non-execs (who would be paid a commercial rate) to sit alongside the Chairman of the Trust (not Overend), the CEO (probably not Wolfenden) and the Company Secretary (definitely not Conway).

I am pretty certain the non-executives would want to embrace the expertise of the wider business community for the benefit of the club’s commercial operation. But all that can be done outside the current Trust Board set-up. Having effectively delegated governance of the club to the non-execs, the Trust Board can concentrate on two things - growing its membership (and it might need some distinct commercial help to deliver this objective, ideally provided by a new Trustee but possibly offered by employees of the club) and taking care of all the community interest stuff which it seems to do reasonably well.

The present set-up will never attract anybody with business expertise because they simply won’t want to waste time in such a bureaucratic structure especially when entirely sensible commercial proposals might still be voted down by entirely clueless Trust Board colleagues.

malcolms

Al, in my view, there is no need for the BOS to resign en masse and stand for re-election. That process would take too long. Instead, their role needs to be massively re-defined. The entirely acceptable short-term route is for the Trust to dramatically overhaul the club board, appointing two independent non-execs (who would be paid a commercial rate) to sit alongside the Chairman of the Trust (not Overend), the CEO (probably not Wolfenden) and the Company Secretary (definitely not Conway).

I am pretty certain the non-executives would want to embrace the expertise of the wider business community for the benefit of the club’s commercial operation. But all that can be done outside the current Trust Board set-up. Having effectively delegated governance of the club to the non-execs, the Trust Board can concentrate on two things - growing its membership (and it might need some distinct commercial help to deliver this objective, ideally provided by a new Trustee but possibly offered by employees of the club) and taking care of all the community interest stuff which it seems to do reasonably well.

The present set-up will never attract anybody with business expertise because they simply won’t want to waste time in such a bureaucratic structure especially when entirely sensible commercial proposals might still be voted down by entirely clueless Trust Board colleagues.
I'm not prone to answers that luxuriate in brevity, but on this occasion..... Wot he ses ............

hern

seconded also

Pete Martin (CTID)

Should we have in place a better financial plan? Yes we bloody well should!!

Do I believe the trust should be giving money ever month to club ? No I don't!!

The club should be standing on it's own two feet and the trust should of built up capital!!

That is my opinion on the matter!!
I am certain that it was agreed and minuted at one of the TB meetings that I attended during my 2nd period on there that the club should be required to be self sufficient ( I.e. no longer dependant on Trust funding) by a certain date in the, then, near future. Unfortunately, the Trust, in its wisdom, has removed the bulk of the historic minutes from its website during the revamp (previously the minutes back to 2004 were viewable online). I think I may still have the paper minutes at home and will try and find the relevant item. In any event, the decision would have been made at least 3 years ago and, far from self sufficiency happening, it's further away than ever.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're right there Pete I'm sure I seen it too as I went looking for it about 18 months ago