• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Then you have the "Company" who spout all kinds of things around how much the company is all about "its people" and how much they're valued, yada yada. As we get older we usually realise this is all just a load of borrocks as it's all about profit, share price, execs and their bonuses.

Meeting somewhere in the middle you have the annual charade that is the performance appraisal. Who has never copied and pasted the same diatribe from the year before? I think I did it 4 years in a row at one place. It's practically always a complete and utter waste of time. And Keith summed it all up without saying very much. He didn't need to.
Yes, yes and yes. Not forgetting the politics which I absolutely abhorred and hence I never was considered for many promotions. At least I could hold my head up when I left the office each evening and my nose didnt have brown smelly stuff on the end.

The end of corporate life for me was when I was made redundant in 2014 and couldnt find another job (too experienced!). I had an interview with Santander in London and at the end you ask questions about the company and the role. I asked what the next steps were and the interviewer said that they had already offered on the role. Well thanks for that after I had wasted a day and paid £120 rail fare. That shut the door on corporate bill hooks for ever. I'm now a self employed gardener and whilst it has its challenges (like the bloody torrents of rain falling out of the sky at this very moment) , I wouldnt swap it for corporate life for all the tea in China.

My obituary to corporate life......may it not rest in peace!

iscalad

A well thought out post but still doesnt answer my question. When does the comedy start?

Mind you, I never watched a single episode of friends that everyone says was hilarious. Those providing the canned laughter may have found it funny but america and comedy dont normally find themselves in the same sentence.

Except in politics 🙂
Unlike you I have watched, probably two episodes, of Friends. The second one to make sure it was as bad as i thought it was. Never could understand all the hype about it.

Stelios

Seinfeld was the 'Daddy' of US sitcoms. But like most comedy very subjective. I love it but defintitely a bit 'marmite'. First couple of series are a bit slow and creaky in parts but unstoppable once they got going.

Very cynical. "No hugging, no learning" was their mantra (the antithesis of Friends) so you'd think it would be popular for readers of these boards :ROFLMAO:

Frasier was great. Curb Your Enthusiasm is incredible (but again, not for everyone)

FWIW I found Friends funny but wouldn't sit down to watch them again now. I can watch Seinfeld or Curb any time

Fun fact: Russ Abbott and Larry David (Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusism) are the same age yet somehow they seem like they're from different generations

cannockred

Inclined to broadly agree this , but I have enjoyed some of the old Bilco episodes though and of course not forgetting Mash.Alan Alda’s quick fire humour reminds me a bit of the old Groucho Marx gags..I suppose Lee Mack too does it in Would I Lie To You.Guess humour is a subjective thing and changes from age to age too.
From living on an American airforce base when much younger to the force feeding of American comedy, I haven't found any american humour funny. Actually with one exception bits of family guy when they roast celebrities. Worth a watch on youtube🙂

Oldsmobile-88

Paul Bradshaw(67) Footballer

Best remembered for his time as first choice goalkeeper at Wolverhampton Wanderers between 1977-84. Also played for Blackburn Rovers, Newport County & Peterborough United.

Alistair20000

I think we need a separate Comedy discussion thread.

DB9

John Savident, Probably best known for playing Fred Elliott in Coronation St dies aged 86. RIP

Tim Long

John Savident, Probably best known for playing Fred Elliott in Coronation St dies aged 86. RIP
He was also in A Clockwork Orange. Didn't repeat every line preceded by "I say..." in that though.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also Sir Humphrey's pal, the mountainous "Jumbo", in Yes Minister.

Alistair20000

He was also in A Clockwork Orange. Didn't repeat every line preceded by "I say..." in that though.
One of the conspirators near the end of that film. Missing out “I say” at the start of each line now seems just so wrong.

I did like the Corrie episode where someone asked the bellicose master butcher for a veggie burger.