• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember Invacars being parked adjacent to the pitch at Plainmoor.
I remember seeing on one occasion one parked at SJP at the St James Rd end in the corner by the Cowshed. It must of only been about 4’ from the pitch. That would have been around 1973/74.

There were always quite a few parked at Highfield Rd, Coventry. There was a special enclosure behind a goal iirc...A irate driver not happy with the referee drove his Invacar onto the pitch after one game to get at him 🤣🤣

Oldsmobile-88

Well I never knew that. But it has reminded me of a vague early memory of an elderly neighbour driving into a hedge and overturning her invalid car causing a big commotion in the street (fire engine and ambulance called!) :ROFLMAO:

(that first Leeds goal would never have stood today)
They were not particularly safe & easy to turn over being made of fibreglass. They were not allowed on Motorways.

Yep, it’s unlikely for Joe Jordan’s to have stood these days though he did little wrong, Peter Bonetti was at fault,he was getting daggers from his defenders.
In that game Peter Osgood & Norman Hunter had a nice set to, booting & sly digs at each other. No falling over, just a couple of hard pro’s not giving any quarter.

Oldsmobile-88

Caught an Ipswich game a while ago. Alan Brazil had a cracking game. I’d always thought he was a striker but he was playing more like a winger?
He had a great time at Portman Rd, being part of a very good side for a few years. How they did not win the League Title in 1981 is a mystery. They certainly were the best footballing side of the early 1980s.

From what I remember, Paul Mariner & Arnold Murhen were in the middle of the forward line, Brazil & John Wark played on either wings. I think when Brazil moved to Spurs he played more centrally(with Steve Archidald)

grecIAN Harris

He had a great time at Portman Rd, being part of a very good side for a few years. How they did not win the League Title in 1981 is a mystery. They certainly were the best footballing side of the early 1980s.

From what I remember, Paul Mariner & Arnold Murhen were in the middle of the forward line, Brazil & John Wark played on either wings. I think when Brazil moved to Spurs he played more centrally(with Steve Archidald)
I thought Murhen was a central midfielder with Frans Thijssen and Eric Gates was Mariners partner in crime up front.

Oldsmobile-88

The unmistakable voice of Len Martin who read out the classified football results every Saturday on Grandstand from the first programme in 1958 until his death in 1995.

Oldsmobile-88

The days when the East Midlands was a football powerhouse.
Derby lost the 2nd leg AET 5-1 at the Bernabu Stadium in controversial circumstances iirc.
Odd that the late Francis Lee did not take the penaltys in the game. He was known as the penalty king after scoring 13 from the spot in a season a few years before whilst at Man City.

Oldsmobile-88

Roger Kirkpatrick refereeing this game. He had wonderful exaggerated movements to explain why he’d blown for a foul...The players nickname for him was Mr Pickwick.

Stelios

Roger Kirkpatrick refereeing this game. He had wonderful exaggerated movements to explain why he’d blown for a foul...The players nickname for him was Mr Pickwick.
Never seen that before. What a pitch

tea stand

The days when the East Midlands was a football powerhouse.
Derby lost the 2nd leg AET 5-1 at the Bernabu Stadium in controversial circumstances iirc.
Odd that the late Francis Lee did not take the penaltys in the game. He was known as the penalty king after scoring 13 from the spot in a season a few years before whilst at Man City.

Safe to say that English clubs generally didnt get the decisions in European matches. It was a common theme as I seem to remember?

tea stand

'for those watching in black and white' :LOL: slightly before my time but essentially what 70s football was like, muddy pitches,proper tackles, and plenty of action in the box