• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plantar Fasciitis

GJW

(AKA Policeman's heel)

Anyone had it? If so, how long did you have it for and how did you get rid of it (and prevent in the future). Interested in any fellow runners out there who have had it.

Had it for 8 weeks now and not getting better. Tried everything that you are supposed to try but no success. GP referred me to a Podiatrist. Seeing him on Saturday. I'm also seeing a Physio. Need to get it sorted so I can run again.

Lots of advice about orthotics, heel inserts, stretching, icing, massage, rest, etc and also always wearing cushioned shoes all the time. I actually find it hurts less when I walk in barefoot but that's another discussion on its own (ref. barefoot running against running in expensive cushioned running shoes). Which one give the least injuries?

Anyway, any useful advice or tips much appreciated (apart from 'stop running').

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
(AKA Policeman's heel)

Anyone had it? If so, how long did you have it for and how did you get rid of it (and prevent in the future). Interested in any fellow runners out there who have had it.

Had it for 8 weeks now and not getting better. Tried everything that you are supposed to try but no success. GP referred me to a Podiatrist. Seeing him on Saturday. I'm also seeing a Physio. Need to get it sorted so I can run again.

Lots of advice about orthotics, heel inserts, stretching, icing, massage, rest, etc and also always wearing cushioned shoes all the time. I actually find it hurts less when I walk in barefoot but that's another discussion on its own (ref. barefoot running against running in expensive cushioned running shoes). Which one give the least injuries?

Gary, I had this a few months ago. I only had it for a few weeks and now it has disappeared. I got it mainly whilst standing - I do stand awkwardly after my knee replacement.

As with most conditions of this type team sometimes time is the healer. Several years ago I woke up with sciatica down my leg, which was absolute agony. I had it for many months before waking up again to find it gone completely. I couldn't believe just how quickly it came on and then again how quickly it disappeared.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
I had it for many months before waking up again to find it gone completely..
It's a miracle! RW has been blessed, the ground redevelopment is in safe hands. :D

Sorry for the flippancy Gaz, can't contribute any Plantar Fasciitus advice. Tennis elbow? Might be able to help.

ECFC Nursey!

RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
(AKA Policeman's heel)

STOP RUNNING! At least for the moment.
Pain relief and physio, and sometimes the inserts in your shoes do work but not in every case.
Good luck - its not a nice condition to have.

I had this for nearly two years (due to constant problems with north london hospitals).... I got it due to my job and footwear...here's my advise...

When u see the podiatrist ask for personalised insoles ..don't allow them to cut up a bit of foam and expect that to work...the personalised ones cost about £40...offer to pay if they try to fob u off with the foam cuts..u won't pay as its nhs but it will force their hands

Get a small bottle of water and freeze it...regularly , recommend when watching tv...roll it under ur foot flattening the muscle out...creating as much length in the muscle as u can
do this within the hour if u do any exercise

roll a golf ball under foot..this will be extremely painful in the first couple of weeks so do the iced bottled first

Loose weight....take this as being ur body telling u it can't cope...it may be u aren't that much over weight (i wasn' t massively) but once the extra weight was gone I was fine

GJW

I had this for nearly two years (due to constant problems with north london hospitals).... I got it due to my job and footwear...here's my advise...

When u see the podiatrist ask for personalised insoles ..don't allow them to cut up a bit of foam and expect that to work...the personalised ones cost about £40...offer to pay if they try to fob u off with the foam cuts..u won't pay as its nhs but it will force their hands

Get a small bottle of water and freeze it...regularly , recommend when watching tv...roll it under ur foot flattening the muscle out...creating as much length in the muscle as u can
do this within the hour if u do any exercise

roll a golf ball under foot..this will be extremely painful in the first couple of weeks so do the iced bottled first

Loose weight....take this as being ur body telling u it can't cope...it may be u aren't that much over weight (i wasn' t massively) but once the extra weight was gone I was fine
No weight problem here. It was upping my distance and speed on running that caused it but still need to identify the root cause (i.e. running gait, body mechancs). Podiatrist I am seeing on Saturday is someone I know and has competed at high level of sport (in his day) so hopefully won't fob me off and understands my need to get back to running as soon a s possible.

I have tried the frozen bottle and the golf ball but no luck. Agree about the pain with the golf ball. Thanks for feedback though. Hope mine doesn't last 2 years.

Yeah could be a gait thing then..sorry for accusing u of being overweight but its normally a sign..i changed my runners too whilst going though the whole fixing it and now have to change them again as gait fixed but shoes wrong....ur lucky to have a decent podiatrist compared to the ones in tottenham...when u doing the rolling u doing it for hours on end..my bottle was melted by the time I would finish doing the rolls...ps try not to stretch it in the morning...u end up simply ripping it and getting nowhere, try and heat it up first (couple of minutes pressed next to hot radiators works

Poultice

.sorry for accusing u of being overweight but its normally a sign..
Yeah get off the weight thing or I shall report you for abuse.