• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Players Wages

Hammer44

Looking at today's echo Tis has said their might be another player to come in but wages budget was spent. Well I take it Edwards and Stewert would be on around the same money as last year and with three key players out and three key players in like Pidge,Coles,Bauza just thought there would be a bit more left considering how many players we let go last year or do I take it the youngsters who were promoted to the first team squad have taken it. Also are the fans group who were paying Norwood's wages last year are they paying for another player this year.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Tis-ready-sixth-season/story-12861442-detail/story.html

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not surprised, the non playing costs are ballooning out of control while the Commercial department fails to deliver so cuts have to be found somewhere if the budget is to be balanced as promised.

The likes of Jay Milling can't come cheap.

Grecian_Jay

To be fair Stewart and Edwards should not be on the same they were due to the fact they are no longer player/coaches. Whether this is the case or not I doubt.

Have we had a amssive cut in the playing budget? Otherwise I cannot see how it is all spent unless he has w*nked the whole lot on Bauza, Coles and Pidge which is unlikely.

wemissmoxey

Not surprised, the non playing costs are ballooning out of control while the Commercial department fails to deliver so cuts have to be found somewhere if the budget is to be balanced as promised.

The likes of Jay Milling can't come cheap.
Spot on.

We appear to be overloaded both on the training ground and behind the scenes, also as has been said the Commercial Dept seem to struggle to come up with much outside the box.

Also we have not been generating income from player sales recently which has obviously been one of our saviours in recent years.

I imagine The Cheese's salary increases are outstripping inflation as well.

Tough season ahead, we will see what The Cheese is made of ;).

Poultice

Tough season ahead, we will see what The Cheese is made of ;).
Needs to hit the ground running this season cos a poor start will most likely see the POTD business shrink mucho rapido, that would soon knock a hole in the budget projections.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
It has been said numerous times that the playing budget was increased last season as a result of "windfall" income from transfers, so unless this income can be made up from elsewhere (unlikely) then of course it will be smaller this season.

It could well be that too much of the budget is spent on things other than players wages, but its the managers choice and he is judged on the result he delivers, so whether or not this is a mistake will be answered at the end of the season

Grant C

Out of curiousity - what is a typical salary that we are paying to a first-teamer?

Also, who's Jay Milling?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Needs to hit the ground running this season cos a poor start will most likely see the POTD business shrink mucho rapido, that would soon knock a hole in the budget projections.
Agreed.

There are also fewer attractive teams in the league this year and fewer southern teams who could be expected to bring decent numbers of supporters. So even on a steady state I suspect average gates will be 200 lower than last year.

Need semi-decent runs in both cups this year, I think. At the very least need to beat Yeovil in the Carling and get through to the third round of the Cup. Away to a top 4 Premeirship team and a home replay, anyone?

Willy Nilly

Well if there was a deal on the table for Cureton, we must have money available now he is going.

davecg

I think it maybe highlights how much it has cost us to keep Nardiello, Noble and Duffy. When Duffy signed his contract he was an unwanted journeyman, Nardiello likewise and Noble was making his way back from an horrific injury. After good seasons I would expect all three were not short of opportunites elsewhere and so we would have had to agree a significant increase in terms in order to keep them.