• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another step this morning in the laborious journey before our continent realises that blind observance of the UN charter on refugees will not keep us safe. It’s clearly now a post war anachronism and needs to go or at least in our case be sidelined by a sovereign country.

angelic upstart

I note that Olive Dowden made your point at PMQs yesterday.
I think everyone would agree, he wouldn't be very good in a remake of on the buses.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Drakeford didn’t seem to be bothered by the potential onerous cost, he stated the world had simply moved on. Make of that what you will.
Dowden didn’t make my point, I made his, a subtle difference and again it’s a bit rich to be preached on peddling a narrative from the King of the Guardian link! 🙄
I’m a lapsed member now Art, my membership was based largely on being able to vote in the leadership election that everyone knew was coming. As a poor pensioner now, the cost of renewal didn’t not pass muster when I was sorting my finances in the spring. 🤷‍♂️
The UK Covid-19 Inquiry has been set up to examine the UK's response to and impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, and learn lessons for the future.

Wales, Scotland and NI will be apart of this enquiry.

angelic upstart

Anyone remember the Monorail episode of the Simpsons?
That one and the one where Homer and Mr Burns get stuck in a ski lodge are amongst my fairly long list of favourite Simpsons episodes.

Spoonz Red E

Another step this morning in the laborious journey before our continent realises that blind observance of the UN charter on refugees will not keep us safe. It’s clearly now a post war anachronism and needs to go or at least in our case be sidelined by a sovereign country.
Other wars are available.

tavyred

Other wars are available.
Which makes the 1951 convention drawn up in the aftermath of WW2 somewhat out dated in my view.

Spoonz Red E

Which makes the 1951 convention drawn up in the aftermath of WW2 somewhat out dated in my view.
Yes.
This was recognised in the 1967 protocol because new refugee situations had arisen since the situation in 1951.
It was considered outdated then in the sense that the 1951 Convention didn't offer protection to victims of new conflicts.
The 1967 protocol extended these right by eliminating the 1951 deadline.

New conflicts continue to arise so the foresight of the 1967 protocol extending refugee rights was to be welcome.

And still is in my opinion.

Grecian2K

I’m a lapsed member now Art, my membership was based largely on being able to vote in the leadership election that everyone knew was coming.
Given the undeniable disasters that your "entryist" vote has done to our country I trust that you will be asking for your money back? Or at least demand that it's now donated to more deserving causes.
(The Lib Dems could probably do with a little bung in W Devon to help oust the stentorian Sir G. Go to them and you'll almost have collected the full political set (allegedly). 😜

tavyred

Yes.
This was recognised in the 1967 protocol because new refugee situations had arisen since the situation in 1951.
It was considered outdated then in the sense that the 1951 Convention didn't offer protection to victims of new conflicts.

New conflicts continue to arise so the foresight of the 1967 protocol extending refugee rights was to be welcome.

….and what about the relatively new phenomenon perpetuated by those not actually seeking to escape conflict but instead using it to move to richer countries for economic reasons?

Grecian2K

Yes.

Oh please Spoonz, don't confuse the Tavistock ex-Tory with more inconvenient facts. He'll only veer off yet again on some other irellevant quasi-political tangent to try and deflect the conversation (again). 🙈